Named for St. John Baptist de La Salle, the patron saint of teachers, La Salle University is proud to continue his mission, and that of the Christian Brothers, in preparing and delivering practical programs for teachers. The Teacher Intern Certificate Program offers a functional approach with online classes and supervised teaching. It allows candidates to:
- Seek employment in a Pennsylvania school while simultaneously completing the requirements for PA Instructional I teacher certification;
- Pursue a career that allows one to make use of content-area expertise.
This is a special cohort offering for PreK-4, Middle Level 4-8 (math/science), and Secondary 7-12 Certification areas that will take place in spring and summer 2012. The first course and practicum begin on Saturday, March 10, 2012.
Candidates are required to complete four courses prior to being eligible for the Pennsylvania Teacher Intern Certification:
- EDC 643, 645* Methods and ‘Supervised’ Practicum required for PreK-4 and Grades 4-8 (6 cr.)
- EDC 647, 648* Methods and ‘Supervised’ Practicum required for Secondary Education 7-12 (6 cr.)
*The ‘supervised’ practicum will take place on-site at your school this spring. The methods course connected with the practicum will meet on nine Saturdays from 9 AM until 1 PM at La Salle’s Montgomery County Center in Plymouth Meeting beginning on Saturday, March 10.
- EDC 501: Cognitive Development (3 cr.) – online course – May 21 through June 26
- EDC 510: Human Exceptionalities (3 cr.) – online course – May 21 through June 26
Candidates must pass all requisite Praxis I or PAPA, as well as Praxis II or PECT tests, to be eligible for recommendation for the Teacher Intern Certification.
- Passing scores on Praxis I test (before April 1, 2012), PAPA test (after April 1, 2012)
- Passing scores on all requisite Praxis II tests (before April 1, 2012), PECT tests (after April 1, 2012)
Completion of the above course requirements, and passing scores on all requisite Praxis or PAPA and PECT exams, makes one eligible for the Teacher Intern Certification.
Teacher Interns have three years from the issue date of the Intern Certificate to complete remaining coursework for the Instructional I Teacher Certification. Teacher interns must be continuously enrolled (at least one course per academic year) in the Graduate Education Program at La Salle University and must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 while enrolled. Completion of the Instructional I Teacher Certification requires a ‘professional semester.’ This is composed of 3 credits of either student teaching (a classroom assignment) or supervised teaching (place of employment) and a 3 credit seminar. Once all certification or degree requirements are completed, those in this special cohort will be eligible to apply for Instructional I Teacher Certification in PreK-4, Middle Level 4-8 (math/science), or Secondary Grades 7-12.
This four course special cohort is offered at a substantial discount for Catholic School Teachers. The total program cost for 12 graduate credits over two semesters is $3600 ($300 /credit). All other fees are waived. You will be eligible to apply for the PA Teacher Intern Certification when 12 credits are completed this summer.
To thank you for your service to the Catholic schools, those who enroll in and complete this special cohort will receive discounted tuition (30% off) through completion of the master’s or certification.
Admission to the program is governed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and La Salle University and requires the following:
- Completed application submitted on or before March 5, 2012;
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university;
- Official transcripts from each college or university attended;
- MAT or GRE scores (if cumulative undergraduate GPA is less than 3.0), unless an advanced degree is held.
Apply Online here
(select either Elementary/Special or Secondary Education)
Harris Lewin, Ed.D.
La Salle University
Graduate Programs in Education
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141 USA
La Salle University reserves the right to alter or change this information
at any time, without notice.