August 2, 2011

La Salle University Student Delvin Turner to Attend Summer Program at Harvard Law School

In the sixth grade, Delvin Turner listened intently as his class studied Thurgood Marshall and his struggle to assist African Americans gain access to equal educational opportunities. “I was inspired by the fact he used law as a vehicle for change to help those who had been neglected by the legal system,” recalls Turner.

When Turner told his mother he wanted to be a lawyer, she took him to the Allegheny County Court House to watch the attorneys argue their cases. “Lawyers, it seemed to me, were intelligent people and sharp communicators who could challenge injustices and work to bring about meaningful change,” said Turner. Beginning this month, Turner, a senior at La Salle University in Philadelphia, will spend five weeks at Harvard University’s Law School with the Trials Program, which prepares students for the LSAT exam and offers lectures by prominent attorneys. He is one of 20 students selected to attend the program.

“I wanted an experience that would give me the chance to gain awareness about the demands of law school, while also giving me the opportunity to meet others who also want to pursue a career in law,” said Turner, a philosophy and English major at La Salle.

To qualify for the program, Delvin had to fill out an on-line application and submit a personal statement, a transcript, three letters of recommendation, and was interviewed online. “I was a bit nervous because the program was extremely competitive.” Out of thousands of applications, the Trials Program would select 40 finalists. From those 40, they would choose only 20 students to participate in the program. “I was very humbled and honored to be one of the few selected,” he said.

At La Salle, Turner is a member of the St. Thomas More pre-law society, chairman of the University’s Judicial Board, a Resident Assistant, and a Writing Fellow.

Delvin Turner, ’12
© Copyright 2014 La Salle University 1900 W. Olney Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19141