April 3, 2012

La Salle University Senior Communication Major Queen Muse Interning at the White House

Informing the nation on news from the White House is a serious job, and La Salle University Communication senior Queen Muse is part of this job while interning for the Office of Communications there.

“I learned about the White House Internship Program during my sophomore year through my internship coordinator, Brother Gerry Molyneaux,” said Muse. “I thought this is definitely something I would want to participate in, but at the time I didn’t feel I was particularly qualified for the position.”

“Her can-do spirit has made her a wonderful role model for the younger students lucky enough to know her, and that same approach to challenges is going to take her very far in whatever field she chooses,” said Brother Gerry.

She decided to work hard to make herself more qualified by participating in more internships and continuing her participation in campus activities, as well as applying for scholarships. “Two years later, my resume and skills had advanced, and I thought the White House internship would be the perfect way to end my undergraduate career. So as I planned it, the internship will count as my last three credits needed to graduate, and I’ll walk in May,” said Muse.

At La Salle, Muse has written and edited for the student newspaper, the Collegian, for two years. She also is a member of the Judicial Board on campus.

Former Collegian editor, Vinny Vella, said “I worked closely with Queen during my time as the Collegian‘s Editor In Chief, and I’ve had numerous journalism classes with her at La Salle. From these experiences, I’ve grown to respect Queen as both a journalist and a hard-working individual.”

“She has a passion and drive that I’m sure will lead her to great things in the professional world. I mean, in all honesty, how many undergrads get to say that they’ve worked in the White House? Overall, Queen is deserving of her unique first name,” said Vella.

Muse also has won a handful of awards, including being named homecoming queen this past fall, the Mary and Robert Dean English Scholarship, and the Philadelphia Association of Black Journalists Scholarship. She also was inducted into the Lamba Pi Eta Communication Honors Society.

Some of her past internships that led her to this experience include being a correspondent for the Penn Relay Carnival, interning at the Philadelphia Daily News, a paid summer internship with Scholastic, Inc. in New York City (publishers of Harry Potter and the Hunger Games books), and Project Intern with the Pennsylvania Society of Newspaper Editors.

Muse is excited about this opportunity, not just about the experience but also with whom she meets.

“Well, that is the great thing about working here; you never know who you’ll find in the halls. Every day is new and surprising. I will be forever grateful for my time here, whether I meet President Obama or not. But I’m keeping my fingers crossed on that one,” said Muse.

- Katherine Blessing

Queen Muse
© Copyright 2014 La Salle University 1900 W. Olney Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19141