July 28, 2014

La Salle University Sophomore Matthew Fritz Selected for Kemper Scholars Program, Which Helps Prepare Students for Leadership and Service

La Salle University sophomore Matthew Fritz has been selected for the Kemper Scholars Program, which helps prepare students for leadership and service, especially in the fields of organizational administration and business.

For the next three years, Fritz will receive a scholarship from the program. This summer, he will attend a Kemper Scholars conference in Chicago to learn about research done by Kemper Scholars who are college juniors and seniors and participating in internships. In 2015 and 2016, Fritz will participate in internships. The first will be with a non-profit organization in Chicago. The second can be with a nonprofit or for-profit organization in the United States or overseas.

Recent La Salle Kemper Scholars interned at the Department of Homeland Security in Washington, D.C., at WorldChicago, a non-profit organization that welcomes foreign diplomats, journalists, and students to the United States, and in the office of a Pennsylvania State Representative.

“I saw the Kemper program as an opportunity to better my education in hopes of learning more to help my community,” said Fritz, who is from Millersville, Pa. “I was surprised and humbled I received it. The best piece of advice I received was from my stepfather, who told me once someone gives their all, they must await the results in peace, knowing they did their absolute best. That carried me through the long waiting period. I was so fortunate and lucky to receive such an honor. The other candidates are friends of mine, and I know they were just as capable.”

Fritz said he plans to apply to law schools after he graduates from La Salle.

The Kemper Scholars program has been sponsored by the James S. Kemper Foundation of Chicago, since 1948. Each year the foundation selects students from 16 exemplary liberal arts colleges around the country.

Its mission is preparing students for leadership and service, especially in the fields of organizational administration and business. The Foundation believes that undergraduate study of the liberal arts represents the best preparation for life and career.   The program aims to promote education in the liberal arts while providing students opportunities for career exploration and practical experience. The Foundation’s experience shows that students learn the value of their liberal arts education for leadership by seeing how they use what they have learned when they work in a professional environment.

La Salle University was established in 1863 through the legacy of St. John Baptist de La Salle and the Christian Brothers teaching order, which St. La Salle founded in 1680. La Salle is an educational community shaped by traditional Catholic and Lasallian values. The University is ranked by U.S. News & World Report among the top 30 schools in the North Region and among the top 10 Catholic schools in the region.

© Copyright 2014 La Salle University 1900 W. Olney Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19141