Raising money. Investing money. Managing money. Doing so effectively, wisely, and ethically. That’s the world of finance.
No matter how small its footprint or gigantic its reach, every business relies on a financial model for viability. Finance is the ideal field of study for students hoping to be financial managers, investment analysts, or financial services professionals.
To prepare students to work and thrive in today’s dynamic global financial environment, our program emphasizes the linking of theory to practice. In the classroom, we develop core competencies in areas such as analytical skills, decision-making frameworks, understanding risk, and how financial markets work. We also teach our students to become proficient in the use of financial tools, including time value analysis, financial forecasting, capital budgeting, asset management, and risk evaluation.
A student within the finance major can specialize in one of three tracks, each uniquely designed with career paths in mind:
- Investment and Financial Analysis:
- Emphasizes security analysis and management and is designed with the Chartered Financial Analyst designation in mind.
- Risk Management
- Recognizes the growing awareness across all businesses for the need to manage a variety of risk with financially sophisticated techniques and helps prepare students for the Associate in Risk Management (ARM) designation.
- Managerial Finance
- Considered to be the traditional finance major, this track is the most general, with an emphasis on corporate finance.
Why Choose Lasallian Business?
- To help students gain real-world insight, our faculty often supplement classroom instruction with guest lectures by business leaders. They show students how thriving businesses respond to market realities—how they plan for expansion, invest for longevity, raise capital for new ventures, and adapt to emerging trends.
- Courses in such critical topics as risk management, international finance, and investment analysis prepare students for high-level work upon graduation. Our students graduate ready to advance and prosper in their chosen pursuits.
- Our outstanding faculty are passionate about their field, and they strive to bring theoretical concepts to live through practical examples, case analyses, and current events. They stay abreast of emerging developments in the field to ensure students are ready for the realities of modern markets.
- Through internships and co-ops, students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience at local organizations. Internships and co-ops also allow students to get more depth from their classroom knowledge by experiencing it in the context of the real world.