There are seven (7) courses, three (3) credits each, and all are required, for a total of 21 credits. The minimum grade point average required for certification is 3.0, and the time limit for completion of all courses is four years. The recommended pace is one to two courses per semester/summer session so as to finish in four to six semesters/summer sessions, but the actual pace may be individually driven within the limits set.
The required courses are as follows:
- BLS 610: Comparative Analysis English/Spanish
- BLS 611: Fundamentals of Interpretation
- BLS 612: Consecutive Interpretation and Sight Translation
- BLS 613: Simultaneous Interpretation
- BLS 614: Legal Interpretation
- BLS 615: Health-care Interpretation
- BLS 616: Business Interpretation
The successful completion of BLS 610 and BLS 611 is a requirement to continue with the program. The first four courses (BLS 610, 611, 612, and 613) must be taken sequentially or simultaneously in pairs: BLS 610-611and BLS 612-613; the remaining three courses (BLS 614, 615, and 616) can be taken in any order.
The rationale for the sequence is that basic interpreting skills and a theoretical base in interpreting should be acquired in order to further develop skills in the specific areas of legal, health-care, and business interpreting. All courses focus on the language combination English-Spanish.