Requirements for a Degree
Students who will complete requirements for a degree in a given semester must make a written application for graduation at the time specified by the Registrar. Commencement exercises are held annually in the spring. Diplomas are issued three times a year - on August 31, January 15, and on the date of the Commencement exercises in May. Students who have three or fewer courses remaining to be fulfilled for their degree requirements will be eligible to participate in May Commencement exercises but will not be awarded a degree. Students receiving diplomas in August or January are invited to participate formally in the Commencement exercises held the following May.
A candidate for the baccalaureate degree must have completed a minimum of 120 semester credit hours that satisfy curricular requirements and that include at least 38 courses of three-credit hours or more.
Certain curricula may require a number of hours exceeding this minimum. In addition to completing the number of courses and hours needed, the student must also meet the following requirements:
- The student obtains a C average or cumulative index of 2.00 in the total program of studies.
- The student fulfills all course requirements controlled by the major department with a C average or a cumulative index of 2.00 in those courses (or higher in some majors).
- The student fulfills the core requirements.
- The student takes his or her last 30 credits at La Salle.
REQUIREMENTS FOR A SECOND BACHELOR’S DEGREE:
La Salle will award a second bachelor’s degree to a student who has already earned a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution if these conditions are met:
- The student obtains written permission from the appropriate Dean and Chair.
- If the student holds a bachelor’s degree from La Salle, he or she meets substantial requirements for the major as determined at the time the student matriculates in the second degree program. A minimum of 30 credit hours would be required.
- If the student holds a bachelor’s degree from another institution, a maximum of 70 credit hours may be transferred toward the second degree. The student fulfills the core requirements of one religion and one philosophy course and the requirements of the major.
- The student takes his or her last 24 credits at La Salle.