The student must formally apply to the La Salle University Social Work Department for admission as a separate and additional process from admission to the University.
The application for admission to the La Salle University Social Work Department must be submitted the semester the student is enrolled in SWK 340: Preparation for Professional Practice, typically the first semester of the junior year. The student can declare social work as a major upon admission to the University; however, the student is only formally accepted into the Social Work Department with the successful application process described below.
The student must meet the following criteria for admission into the Social Work Program:
- An overall GPA of 2.30 (Students with a GPA below 2.30 may apply for conditional acceptance to the program)
- A final grade of C or better in all Social Work courses
- An affinity with and commitment to the values and ethics of the social work profession as set forth in the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) Code of Ethics
- Two letters of recommendation. One recommendation should be from a person associated with a community service experience in which the student has participated. The second recommendation will be an academic reference from a University faculty member other than La Salle University Social Work Department full-time faculty. A second recommendation from a person associated with a community service experience may be substituted for the academic reference with permission from the Social Work Department Chair.
- Autobiographical statement. Complete a personal statement (maximum of four pages, typewritten and double-spaced) discussing your motivations for choosing social work as a profession and describing significant people and life events that have been instrumental in your decision to seek a degree in social work. Address areas of special interest or concern relevant to social work. Note: The autobiography statement completed in SWK160 will be accepted to fulfill this requirement.
- Copy of your current college/university transcript.
- Copy of current criminal clearance.* (Date of clearance must be within one year from date of submission to Social Work Department.)
- Copy of current child abuse clearance.* (Date of clearance must be within one year from date of submission to Social Work Department.)
- Review the NASW Code of Ethics and sign the application form.**
- Submit the completed application to the Social Work Department Chair.
- The full-time Social Work Department faculty will review your application, and each will vote on your candidacy.
The student will be notified of the Department faculty’s decision in writing. The admission decisions include:
- full admission
- conditional admission
- no admission
* A history of criminal conviction and/or child abuse does not automatically preclude admission to the Social Work Department. However, the student will be required to share this information with the field practicum supervisor in the agency.
The student is responsible for informing the Social Work Department of any changes in criminal and/or child abuse status.
** In the event of a violation of the NASW Code of Ethics, the student may not be granted admission to or continuation in the Social Work Department.