Progression in the Program
Students’ academic progress is reviewed by their advisors each semester and by CSD faculty. All CSD Four-year majors and Pre-CSD students must maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA (overall, in the major, and in required sciences) with no more than 2 courses below a B, in order to advance to the sophomore year as a CSD major and in order to continue in the major and progress in the program. Any student who does not meet this requirement will receive written notification from the chair of the CSD Department and will be required to declare a different major for the fall of the sophomore year or at any other time during the course of study.
Students who enter La Salle in the Five-year Program must maintain a minimum overall cumulative GPA of 3.5, including the CSD major and required science courses, by January of the sophomore year and the 3.5 must be maintained through the second semester of the junior year. Students who do not meet this requirement may continue in the Four-year Program if they meet the Four-year Requirements. These students are no longer eligible for application to the Five-year Program.
Students who are concerned that they may not meet these requirements may contact Academic Support Services at http://www.lasalle.edu/provost/academiclearningsupport/index.php?section=sheekey_center&page=make_appt
Four-Year CSD majors, who meet the minimum criteria for the Five-Year program will be invited to apply for admission to the Five-Year CSD program during the second semester of their sophomore year. They will be reviewed for placement in the Five-Year program at the end of the sophomore year.
Admission Process of CSD Four-year BS Students into the Five-year CSD Program
- Determined during the spring semester of the sophomore year.
- Students must have successfully completed the freshman CSD year curriculum; the 1st semester curriculum of the sophomore level courses and be enrolled in the 2nd semester sophomore curriculum prescribed for the Five-year CSD program (have equivalent coursework to those students already in the 5-year program).
- Students who transfer into the CSD program after the freshman year are not eligible for the Five-year program.
- In order to apply, students must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.5 and a minimum GPA of 3.5 in CSD courses, but having this minimum GPA does not guarantee admittance into the five-year program.
- Students must also have a minimum 3.0 GPA in required science courses.
- Students must have completed a minimum of 45 overall credit hours, of which a minimum of four courses must be successfully completed CSD courses, in addition to BIO 161 & 162.
- Students must complete and submit an application to the Department Chair by a deadline determined during the second semester of their sophomore year (the application will include a one page essay – topic to be determined by CSD faculty).
- The CSD Admission Committee will review applications and make the final determination of acceptance or denial to the program. As part of this process, CSD faculty will complete a student competency checklist for each student applicant.
- Students who are not accepted into the Five-year program can remain in the CSD major and complete the degree requirements for the BS in CSD. These students can then apply to any Master’s degree program including the SLP MS program at La Salle University.
Note: Students who are not accepted into the Five-year program and do not complete the Four-year undergraduate major in CSD may still complete a CSD minor by taking additional CSD courses during their junior/senior years, as specified in the requirements of the CSD minor.