La Salle University

Undergraduate Admissions
International Students

Financial Aid FAQs

General Information

» What are the deadlines to apply for Aid?
» What is the La Salle overaward policy?
» What is an independent student?
» What is my aid eligibilty if I am in a preparatory program or am taking prerequisites to get into a Master’s program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am in the Teacher Certification Program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am in the ESL Certification Program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am taking Post-Master’s classes in Psychology for state licensure?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am taking courses for a graduate certificate program?
» What if I withdraw from all my courses?
» What are some of the reasons I might see a change in my financial aid package from last year?
» What does my acceptance status mean to me, and how does it affect my financial aid eligibility? 

Scholarships, Grants, Discounts, and Tax Credits

» What about scholarships for returning students?
» What is the Hope Scholarship/Lifetime Learning Credit?
» What is the PA New Economy Tech Scholarship?
» What about my PHEAA State Grant?
» What is the discount for members of religious orders and Catholic school teachers?

Credit Balances: Refunds and Money for Books

» What if I need money for books?
» How do I get my refund and money for books?

Reading Bills: Memos and Credits

» What are those credits and memos on my bill?

Special Circumstances
» I have special circumstances, what do I do?
» Will I be eligible for financial aid if I repeat a course that I already passed?

Accessing Information Online

» How can Brother Luwis answer my aid questions?

Tuition Benefits for Employee Dependents

What is a Faculty/Staff Dependent Grant?
A Faculty/Staff Dependent Grant is a La Salle University employee benefit that allows the dependents of La Salle University employees to pursue a baccalaureate degree at La Salle University. Additionally, dependent children may be eligible to attend other cooperating post-secondary institutions through the Tuition Exchange Program.

Who are considered eligible dependents?
Eligible dependents are either spouses or dependent children of La Salle University employees who have been employed full-time for a minimum of five years at the University. Previous full-time employment at another college or university may be applied to the five (5) year waiting period.

Dependent children are defined by the standards of the Internal Revenue Service for the tax year immediately preceding the academic year. The dependent student cannot already possess a baccalaureate degree.

How many courses may a dependent take per semester?
Eligible dependent students may enroll full-time (12 credits or more).

What does the Faculty/Staff dependent grant cover?
The grant covers tuition costs and also educationally related fees. The grant is limited to full-time tuition; it will not cover additional charges if a student registers for an overload.

The employee is responsible for paying the health fee, the student activity fee, the graduation fee and any other fees not directly associated with education.

Where may dependent students take courses?
Spouses of employees may only enroll in courses at La Salle University in either the Undergraduate Day Division or Continuing Studies. Children of La Salle employees may enroll in courses at La Salle University in either the Undergraduate Day Division or Continuing Studies. Dependent children may also attend as undergraduate day students at other co-operating post-secondary institutions through the Tuition Exchange Program.

How do I apply for the Faculty/Staff Dependent Grant?
For attendance at La Salle University, students must first be accepted by the Offices of Admission or Continuing Studies. Employees with eligible dependents must then complete the Employee Verification Form available on the forms section of the Financial Aid Website. This form, together with a copy of the employee's latest federal income tax form and a copy of the student's bill, need to be forwarded to the Human Resources Department. Human Resources will confirm eligibility and notify the Financial Aid Office to credit the student's account. The Employee Verification Form needs to be completed for each semester in which the student is applying for benefits. The Financial Aid Office must be notified if the student drops or adds courses so that their benefits can be adjusted.

How do I apply for a Tuition Exchange Grant at another school?
Dependents of faculty/staff members who wish to attend another institution through the Tuition Exchange Program must complete the Tuition Exchange Application form available on the Financial Aid Forms website and send to the Financial Aid Office. In addition, they must complete the Employee Verification Form and attach a copy of their latest federal income tax form. This form should be sent to Human Resources so that they can verify the student's eligibility. First time applicants should complete this process no later than November 1 of the year prior to their prospective enrollment. Employees will need to file an Employee Verification Form for each semester in which the student will receive the grant and file the Tuition Exchange Application every year in order for the grant to be renewed.

Does filing an application guarantee a Tuition Exchange Grant?
No. Tuition Exchange is a competitive grant. Each school determines the number of grants it offers and the criteria by which recipients are chosen. Once a student receives the grant, it can be renewed for a total of 8 semesters or until the student receives a baccalaureate degree.

What does the Tuition Exchange Grant cover?
The Tuition Exchange Program requires colleges to offer full tuition or a minimum grant; whichever is lower. The minimum grant for 2006-2007 is $23,500. Schools whose tuitions are lower than $23,500 are required to offer full tuition. Schools with tuitions higher than $23,500 must offer at least that amount. Some schools offer full tuition even though the amount is greater than the minimum requirement. Other schools may offer room and board as well. Details on specific schools can be found on the Tuition Exchange website at