La Salle University

Undergraduate Admissions
International Students

Financial Aid FAQs

General Information

» What are the deadlines to apply for Aid?
» What is the La Salle overaward policy?
» What is an independent student?
» What is my aid eligibilty if I am in a preparatory program or am taking prerequisites to get into a Master’s program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am in the Teacher Certification Program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am in the ESL Certification Program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am taking Post-Master’s classes in Psychology for state licensure?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am taking courses for a graduate certificate program?
» What if I withdraw from all my courses?
» What are some of the reasons I might see a change in my financial aid package from last year?
» What does my acceptance status mean to me, and how does it affect my financial aid eligibility? 

Scholarships, Grants, Discounts, and Tax Credits

» What about scholarships for returning students?
» What is the Hope Scholarship/Lifetime Learning Credit?
» What is the PA New Economy Tech Scholarship?
» What about my PHEAA State Grant?
» What is the discount for members of religious orders and Catholic school teachers?

Credit Balances: Refunds and Money for Books

» What if I need money for books?
» How do I get my refund and money for books?

Reading Bills: Memos and Credits

» What are those credits and memos on my bill?

Special Circumstances
» I have special circumstances, what do I do?
» Will I be eligible for financial aid if I repeat a course that I already passed?

Accessing Information Online

» How can Brother Luwis answer my aid questions?

How can I qualify to be an independent student?

Federal Financial Aid regulations say that students are automatically considered independent if they meet the following criteria:

  • They are 24 years of age;
  • They are married;
  • They are enrolled in a graduate or professional course of study;
  • They are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training OR they are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces;
  • They have children or other legal dependents (other than a spouse or child) who are receiving more than half of their support from the student;
  • If at age 13, they were an orphan, a ward of the court, or in foster care;
  • They are currently an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship as determined by a court in their state of residence;
  • They have been determined as a an unaccompanied youth who was homeless by their high school or school district homeless liaison, or by the director of an emergency shelter program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development on or after July 1, 2008;
  • They have been determined as an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless by the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program.

Aid Administrators have the authority to make students who do not meet the above criteria independent under special and extreme circumstances using professional judgment. Some examples of special and extreme circumstances might be third party documented parental drug abuse or abandonment.

A student should submit a letter of appeal with third party documentation to the Office of Financial Aid.  Some examples of third party documentation are a letter from a high school guidance counselor, clergy, lawyer or caseworker.
A parent unwilling to assist a student in the financial aid process is not grounds for a student to be declared an independent student. This is an issue between the student and the parent.