La Salle University

Undergraduate Admissions
International Students

Financial Aid FAQs

General Information

» What are the deadlines to apply for Aid?
» What is the La Salle overaward policy?
» What is an independent student?
» What is my aid eligibilty if I am in a preparatory program or am taking prerequisites to get into a Master’s program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am in the Teacher Certification Program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am in the ESL Certification Program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am taking Post-Master’s classes in Psychology for state licensure?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am taking courses for a graduate certificate program?
» What if I withdraw from all my courses?
» What are some of the reasons I might see a change in my financial aid package from last year?
» What does my acceptance status mean to me, and how does it affect my financial aid eligibility? 

Scholarships, Grants, Discounts, and Tax Credits

» What about scholarships for returning students?
» What is the Hope Scholarship/Lifetime Learning Credit?
» What is the PA New Economy Tech Scholarship?
» What about my PHEAA State Grant?
» What is the discount for members of religious orders and Catholic school teachers?

Credit Balances: Refunds and Money for Books

» What if I need money for books?
» How do I get my refund and money for books?

Reading Bills: Memos and Credits

» What are those credits and memos on my bill?

Special Circumstances
» I have special circumstances, what do I do?
» Will I be eligible for financial aid if I repeat a course that I already passed?

Accessing Information Online

» How can Brother Luwis answer my aid questions?

Questions about my Pennsylvania State Grant

How do I apply for a PHEAA (Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency) grant?
All students apply for state grants by completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) before May 1 for the next academic year. The Federal Processor sends the names and financial information for all Pennsylvania residents electronically to PHEAA. The PHEAA State Grant Division uses that financial information to determine your state grant eligibility. Students are notified directly by PHEAA of their award status.

PHEAA will request first-time students to complete an additional information form.

La Salle was not listed as my first choice on my FAFSA, how can I change it to get my PHEAA State Grant at La Salle?
PHEAA will base its award on the educational costs of the first college listed on the FAFSA. If this is not La Salle, there are three ways to make this change: you can make the change on the PHEAA State Grant award letter and return it to PHEAA; you can call PHEAA at 1-800-692-7392; or you can complete the PHEAA enrollment change form located on our Forms page. Please complete this form and forward it to the Office of Financial Aid and we will send the change to the PHEAA State Grant Division.

Who is eligible for a PHEAA grant?
Eligible students must be enrolled at least half-time in an undergraduate degree program.

What can affect my PHEAA grant amount?
The state grant awards are based on full-time, day enrollment costs. La Salle is required to report to PHEAA any change in housing, enrollment status, or financial circumstances. Once the state receives this information, the student’s state grant award will be recalculated. This may result in a change in the grant amount.

Why was my PHEAA State Grant reduced because I am an evening student?
One of the factors that determine your eligibility for State Grant is the cost of your program. Initially, PHEAA State Grant Division assumes you to be a full-time day student. If you are an evening student with greatly reduced costs, then this may cause a reduction in the original amount of your State Grant when Financial Aid reports your correct enrollment status to PHEAA.

On my FAFSA, I indicated that I was going to live in the dorms but I am now going to commute from my parent's home. What should I do?
First of all, when you (the student) make any changes in residency, you should inform the Office of Financial Aid as soon as possible, as this could have an effect on your financial aid. Going from dorm to commuter status can also have an effect on your PHEAA State Grant. In addition to notifying the Office of Financial Aid, you can call the PHEAA State Grant Division at 1-800-692-7392. You can also make the change on your PHEAA State Grant award letter and return it to PHEAA.

As a part-time student, what will this do to my PHEAA State Grant?
Your original award is based on full-time attendance. As a student who is taking less than 12 but more than 6 credits in a term, your State Grant may be reduced.

As a part-time student, why does my employer have to complete the tuition reimbursement form each semester?
PHEAA requires this verification process. The form is available here.

How many semesters of PHEAA State Grant can I receive?
Eight (8) full-time semesters or 16 part-time semesters, or any combination of both.

I made academic progress for my Federal and La Salle aid, but I did not make progress for my PHEAA State Grant. Why?
PHEAA State Grant has its own standards of academic progress apart from the Federal and La Salle policies. Basically, for every two semesters of full-time State Grant that you receive, you must earn 24 credits. If you receive two part-time State Grants, then you must earn 12 credits to make progress. All appeals of State Grant progress must sent directly to PHEAA State Grant Division. You may call them at 1-800-692-7392.

I have a special circumstance that I would like to be taken into account in determining my PHEAA State Grant. How do I do this?
All letters of appeal of your State Grant eligibility should be sent directly to the PHEAA State Grant Division. Please visit the PHEAA website to find the forms required to report income changes.