La Salle University

Undergraduate Admissions
International Students

Financial Aid FAQs

General Information

» What are the deadlines to apply for Aid?
» What is the La Salle overaward policy?
» What is an independent student?
» What is my aid eligibilty if I am in a preparatory program or am taking prerequisites to get into a Master’s program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am in the Teacher Certification Program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am in the ESL Certification Program?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am taking Post-Master’s classes in Psychology for state licensure?
» What is my aid eligibility if I am taking courses for a graduate certificate program?
» What if I withdraw from all my courses?
» What are some of the reasons I might see a change in my financial aid package from last year?
» What does my acceptance status mean to me, and how does it affect my financial aid eligibility? 

Scholarships, Grants, Discounts, and Tax Credits

» What about scholarships for returning students?
» What is the Hope Scholarship/Lifetime Learning Credit?
» What is the PA New Economy Tech Scholarship?
» What about my PHEAA State Grant?
» What is the discount for members of religious orders and Catholic school teachers?

Credit Balances: Refunds and Money for Books

» What if I need money for books?
» How do I get my refund and money for books?

Reading Bills: Memos and Credits

» What are those credits and memos on my bill?

Special Circumstances
» I have special circumstances, what do I do?
» Will I be eligible for financial aid if I repeat a course that I already passed?

Accessing Information Online

» How can Brother Luwis answer my aid questions?

Satisfactory Standards of Academic Progress for Federal and La Salle Need Based Financial Aid

In order to continue receiving financial aid, a student must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward completion of the program of study. The student must be moving toward the goal of graduation.

In order to continue to receive federal aid, as well as institutional need-based and merit-based aid, the student must successfully earn 67% of all attempted credits.

In addition to completing a certain number of attempted credits, all students are required to achieve the cumulative grade point average as listed below if they are to continue to receive Institutional and Federal financial aid:

Credits Earned
1 - 23
54 and above
Graduate Students


Required Cumulative GPA



For the definition of attempted and earned credits and for the formula of the calculation of the grade point average, please contact the University Registrar at 215-951-1020.

The maximum timeframe for completion of the undergraduate or graduate program cannot exceed 150% of the published program length for a full-time student. For example, the minimum credits for an undergraduate student to complete a program are 120; therefore, the student would have a maximum timeframe of 180 attempted credits to complete the program before loss of eligibility for Federal and Institutional aid.

Academic progress for each student will be measured in May or at the end of the summer session. If a student does not meet these standards of academic progress, then the student will not be considered for federal or institutional funds. In order for the student's eligibility to be reinstated, the student’s grades and credits earned must meet the required levels.

Appeals may be based on either the death of a relative, a serious personal illness/injury, or other extenuating circumstance. The student must be able to demonstrate that the illness/injury or extenuating circumstance had a direct impact on the student's academic performance. Mitigating circumstances may be the basis of an appeal if those circumstances prevent completion of the program within the 150% timeframe.

All appeals for waivers of academic progress must be done in writing and be accompanied by the Financial Aid Progress Appeal form which can be found in the Forms section of this website.     Please follow the directions on this form and submit it Student Financial Servicers after it has been reviewed and signed by an Assistant Dean or Graduate Program Director. If the Financial Aid Appeals Committee feels that there are mitigating circumstances that had a direct bearing on the student’s academic performance, then the student can be funded during a probationary period for one semester..

If a student fails to meet the standards of academic progress at the end of the probationary period, then the student becomes ineligible for Federal Financial aid.

The student must successfully complete at least 24 credits for every two semesters of full-time PHEAA State Grant assistance received. For part-time PHEAA State Grant recipients, the above requirements will be prorated. (Students may appeal this directly with PHEAA).

The University’s Academic Censure Policy and its Standards for Academic Progress for Financial Aid are two distinct policies. The University may allow a student to enroll for a semester but elect to withhold funding.