Certification in Special Education (PreK-8) or (7-12)
Using a schedule that accommodates those already employed as teachers, this program is designed to be responsive to requirements promulgated by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (Division of Teacher Education Bureau of Teacher Certification and Preparation) requiring that special education teachers be certified according to specific competencies set forth in the regulations. Upon successful completion of this program, candidates are certified to teach PreK-8 or 7-12 special education.
Students can earn either a Master of Arts in Education with Certification in Special Education (33 credits) or Certification in Special Education only (24 credits).
In addition to the standard admission requirements for Graduate Education, applicants must also provide a valid teaching certificate or evidence of completion of all requirements for certification, including passing scores on all relevant PRAXIS exams.
- EDC 503 Cognitive, Social and Emotional Development
- EDC 655 Dimensions of Autism
- EDC 751 Transformative Pedagogy: A Capstone Experience
- EDC 510 Human Exceptionalities
- EDC 619 Literacy Difficulties: Diagnosis and Instruction
- EDC 644 Assessing the Abilities of All Learners
- EDC 667 Implementing the IEP in the Inclusive Classroom
- BLS 601 Techniques of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- EDC 643 Developing and Adjusting Instruction
- EDC 645 Planning and Instruction for Students with Special Needs
- EDC 661 Teaching Across the Continuum of Student Needs