Reading Specialist Certification (K-12)
Using a schedule that accommodates those already employed as teachers, this program is designed to be responsive to requirements promulgated by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (Division of Teacher Education—Bureau of Teacher Certification and Preparation) requiring that specialists of reading be certified according to specific competencies set forth in the regulations.
Students can earn either a Master of Arts in Education with Certification as a Reading Specialist (36 credits) or Certification only as a Reading Specialist (21 credits).
In addition to the standard admission requirements for Graduate Education, applicants must also provide a valid teaching certificate or evidence of completion of all requirements for certification, including passing scores on all relevant PRAXIS exams.
- EDC 503 Cognitive, Social, and Emotional Development
- EDC 510 Human Diversity
- EDC 520 Writing Instruction for Literacy Educators
- BLS 601 Techniques of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- EDC 751 Transformative Pedagogy: A Capstone Experience
CERTIFICATION COURSES FOR READING SPECIALIST
- EDC 617 Reading in the Content Area or
- EDC 618 Reading and Writing in Elementary and Special Education
- EDC 619 Literacy Difficulties: Diagnosis and Instruction for Reading Specialists and Classroom Teachers
- EDC 620 Literacy Difficulties: Assessment and Intervention
- EDC 640 Literature for Children and Adolescents Across the Curriculum
- EDC 649 The Literacy Coach: Improving the Teaching of Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
- EDC 651 Literacy Internship Practicum