Contact UsRequest InformationStudent Financial ServicesGraduate Housing
Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to complete the program?
It usually takes between two to three years if attending full-time, and about four years if completing the program part-time. 

What time of the day are the classes held? 
Most classes are scheduled from 4:30-7:00 p.m. and 7:30-10:00 p.m. in the Fall and Spring semesters, and 6:00-9:30 p.m. in the Summer semester.   Occasionally, additional sections of a class will be offered in the morning, the afternoon, or on Saturdays.

What is the Accelerated Full-TimeWeekend Option?
The Accelerated Full-Time—Weekend Option is a 60-credit hour degree program that is designed so students are able to complete the program in two years. This is a full-time program with each course being offered two consecutive weekends each month. The schedule is Friday night 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.  
This accelerated program is intensive, with the first year being dedicated to coursework and the second year dedicated to final clinical courses and the clinical field work. In the classroom, students gain a sound knowledge of the theories of counseling and marriage and family therapy and receive excellent clinical skills training. During the field placement (i.e., Practicum and Internship), which is completed in mental health facilities, students receive direct client experience and clinical supervision that prepares them to become effective and competent professional counselors or marriage and family therapists.  

What is the average age of students? 
About half of our students come directly from undergraduate programs. The others vary widely in age, from those with a few years of work experience, to those who are beginning a second career. We encourage students to learn from and assist one another, and we appreciate the life experience of our students.

Can I complete the program at the Bucks or Montgomery County Campuses without going to the Main Campus, or vice versa? 
The program can be completed in its entirety at the Montgomery County and Bucks County Campuses, and students can take class at any campus. There are program requirements that require travel to Main Campus including the Written and Oral Comprehensive Exams.

What is the longest amount of time before the degree needs to be completed? 
The degree requirements must be completed in 7 years.

How do I complete the Pennsylvania licensure requirements after I complete the M.A. degree? 
In addition to the 60 credit-hour M.A. degree, you also must pass a licensure examination and complete at least two years of 3000 hours of supervised work experience (i.e., a paid position). For more information on licensure requirements for professional counseling in all 50 states, visit the American Counseling Association website

How does the M.A. in PCC qualify a student for the job market? 
The job market is good for students receiving their M.A. in Professional Clinical Counseling. Students in the PCC Program are well-prepared for licensure and find jobs after graduation in clinics, agencies, schools, and college counseling centers, and employee assistance programs. After licensure, many LPCs opt to also open a private practice. For more information on employment and wages, visit the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics website for mental health counselors.

Does the M.A. in PCC prepare me for doctoral studies?
La Salle's M.A. in Professional Clinical Counseling provides excellent preparation for a doctorate in Counselor Education and Supervision or a related degree.  Doctoral programs typically seek applicants with clinical and research experience; students graduate from La Salle's PCC program with at least 700 clock hours of field experience (and at least 340 hours of client contact), and there is opportunity within La Salle's program to collaborate with a faculty member to gain research experience or complete a research project.

What is the difference between a M.A. and a Psy.D. degree as it pertains to employment after graduation? 
The M.A. prepares students to become licensed as a professional counselor, whereas the Psy.D. is the minimum degree required to become licensed as a psychologist. Both degrees qualify you to work as a mental health professional, including private practice. Although salaries are usually higher for those with a doctorate, and most academic positions require a doctorate, Psy.D. programs require more academic credits and a doctoral dissertation. 

Will graduation from this program enable me to become a school counselor? 
We do not have a concentration in school counseling.  Students completing the Professional Clinical Counseling Program can obtain certification by taking courses at another university.

Do I have to take the MAT or GRE? 
Yes.  However, if you already hold a master's degree or if you have an undergraduate GPA of 3.5 or higher, this requirement may be waived. 

What are the cutoff scores for the GRE and MATs? 
We expect students to be above the 50th percentile on graduate norms, but take all credentials into consideration.

Is it better to take the MAT or GRE? 
If you are applying to several programs, including doctoral programs, or if you do well on timed tests you should probably take the GRE. If you have been out of college for several years, or if you read widely you may want to consider taking the MAT. Review directions and sample questions before deciding.

What are the deadlines for each semester for applying? 
We have rolling admission; deadlines are posted on the Admission page.

How long after my file is complete will I hear a decision, and how will I be notified of the decision? 
We usually notify applicants who have submitted completed files within two weeks. Applicants are notified by e-mail and regular mail.

If there graduate housing available?  Where do students live? 
Yes, there are graduate apartments on Main Campus.  Students who take classes primarily on Main Campus often choose to live off-campus in surrounding neighborhoods, including Manayunk, East Falls, and Chestnut Hill, all of which are 15-20 minutes away from Main campus.  Students find apartments to rent through classified ads on Craigslist.

Is parking a problem? 
There is secure on-campus parking available on all campuses.  Main Campus offers a free shuttle service from the academic buildings to campus parking lots.

Programs offered at:

For general program information, admission requirements or application status, please contact the CFT Graduate Admission Counselor, Stacey Vinci at

For advising, clinical or course-specific information, or registration, please contact the CFT office at

Francis Berna, OFM, Ph.D.

Donna A. Tonrey, Psy.D., LMFT, LPC

Counseling and Family Therapy
Master's Programs
Office: Wister Hall, Room 208
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141 USA
Phone: 215.951.1767
Fax: 215.991.3585

La Salle University reserves the right to alter or change this information
at any time, without notice.

© Copyright 2014 La Salle University