Leonid D. Rudnytzky, Ph.D. (professor emeritus)
Name: Leo D. Rudnytzky
Office: Olney Hall, Room 240
I am currently teaching graduate courses in the Central and Eastern European Studies Master’s Program and an undergraduate survey of 20 th century literature entitled: Contemporary European and Latin American Literatures. I am also professor of Ukrainian Studies at the University of Pennsylvania ( http://www.plc.sas.upenn.edu/people/leonid_rudnytzky.html ). Prior to this, I have taught at the University of Munich, Germany, and the University of Vienna, Austria. I have also served as President of the Ukrainian Free University of Munich, 1998 – 2004.
I am active in the Ukrainian community in the United States and currently serve as President of the World Council of the Shevchenko Scientific Society, the oldest Ukrainian academy of arts and sciences. I have seven honorary doctorates and a number of various medals, awards, citations, etc. My knowledge of foreign languages include: German, Polish and Ukrainian, I have also a working knowledge of Spanish and of Russian.
Areas of Expertise
- Ukrainian and German literary relations
- Comparative literature and culture
- Religion and literature among the Eastern Slavs
- Dr. habil. St. Clement Ukrainian Catholic University of Rome, 1972
- Ph.D., Ukrainian Free University of Munich, 1965
- M.A., University of Pennsylvania, 1960
- B.A., La Salle College (now University), 1958
- Taught German, Ukrainian and Comparative Literatures at several universities (including Harvard, St. Joseph’s, University of Belgrade, Serbia, et. al.) as well as courses in Ukrainian language at the University of Pennsylvania
- Author of over two hundred and fifty articles, essays and book reviews
- Currently serve as Editor-in-Chief of the Ukrainian Quarterly
- Author and/or editor of over twenty-five books and collections of scholarly essays.
- Presented papers at sixty national and international scholarly congresses and conferences
Numerous scholarships and grants, including
- Fulbright Grant to Germany (1960-1961)
- National Heritage Foundation Grant (1973)
- IREX grant (1991)
- For more detailed information see: At the Crossroads of Culture: Essays in Honor of Leonid Rudnytzky, On the Occasion of His 70 th Jubilee. Edited by Albert Kipa and Oleh Kupchynsky; Lviv/Philadelphia. 2008.
- President of the Saint Sophia Religious Association of Ukrainian Catholics
- Member of the Order of the Knights of Malta
- Various other civic and scholarly organizations
Outside interests and hobbies
- Reading mystery fiction
- Slavic folklore
Leo Rudnytzky, Ph.D.
Central/Eastern European Graduate Studies
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141 USA
La Salle University reserves the right to alter or change this information
at any time, without notice.