English | Español
Candidates for La Salle’s M.A. in TESOL program must meet the following admission standards:
- The applicant must complete an Application for Admission. This may be accomplished via La Salle’s website (lasalle.edu) free of charge. Alternatively, the applicant may obtain a paper application from the Director of the program. There is a $35 charge for paper applications.
- Provide evidence of successful academic achievement in completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education. A GPA of 3.0 or better is desirable. An “official” transcript from the college/university where the baccalaureate degree was earned is required.
- Acceptable scores on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). GRE (Graduate Record Exam) results are also acceptable.
- Arrangements to take the MAT may be made with the Counseling Center at La Salle University. Please call: 215.951-1355. This requirement may be waived for those applicants that already hold an advanced degree. This requirement may also be waived for those applicants with an undergraduate GPA (Grade Point Average) of 3.5 or better. Proof of an advanced degree will be required (official transcript).
- Generally, applicants to this program should already posses a currently valid teaching certificate (Instructional Level 1 or 2 in the case of Penna. issued teaching certificates). A copy of the teaching certificate is required.
- The applicants must submit two letters of recommendation from former professors or current supervisors who can provide insight about his/hers abilities and talents, as well as comments on his/her aptitude/capacity for graduate level studies.
- The applicant must submit an 500-1,000 words essay stating why is he/she interested in the program and what are his/her goals related to this program including those goals related to: career, research and academic accomplishments.
Carmen Lamas, Ph.D.
The Hispanic Institute at La Salle University
Assistant Professor of Spanish
Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141 USA
La Salle University reserves the right to alter or change this information
at any time, without notice.