La Salle University’s Certificate in Nursing Informatics prepares nurses with advanced skills in the methods and technologies of information management in nursing and health care.
The Nursing Informatics Certificate consists of four courses from the Schools of Nursing, Business, and Arts and Sciences (Computer Information Science). Baccalaureate educated registered nurses are introduced to hardware and software challenges related to data processing and management, project management, and problem solving. Systems designs, ethicolegal and social issues, and computerized information management are examined. Student projects focus on health care-related informatics issues.
The La Salle University Nursing Informatics Certificate allows interested nurses “to complete at least 12 semester hours or academic credits in informatics” so that they can be considered for the Informatics Nurse Certification offered by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
Standards for Admission
- Professional Registered Nurse (RN) licensure in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or another state
- Evidence of successful academic achievement in completing a baccalaureate degree in nursing or other baccalaureate degree
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in baccalaureate degree
- Evidence of one year of current clinical experience
- Two professional references; one reference is academic and the other is clinical
- A statement of philosophy
- The application for admission to the Nursing Informatics Certificate Program, accompanied by the stipulated application fee, payable to La Salle University
Required Core Courses*
NUR 512 Introduction to Nursing Informatics
NUR 522 Networks and Databases
MIS 710 Information Systems Analysis and Design
CIS 610 Legal, Ethical, and Social Issues in Computing
* Courses must be taken in the specified order
|NUR 512||3 Credits||NI|
|NUR 522||3 Credits||NI|
|MIS 710||3 Credits||NI|
|CIS 610||3 Credits||NI|
Please click on this Course Descriptions link for a full description of these courses.
Patricia M. Dillon, Ph.D., R.N.
Graduate Nursing, and RN-BSN and RN-MSN Programs
La Salle University
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141 USA
La Salle University reserves the right to alter or change this information
at any time, without notice.