Associate Professor, Nursing
Office Number: 4432 Benilde Tower
- Diploma - Frankford Hospital School of Nursing
- B.S.N. - East Stroudsburg University
- M.S.N. - University of Pennsylvania
- Ph.D.- University of Maryland (Nursing)
- Post-Doctoral NIH Center for Advancing Care in Serious Illness Training, University of Pennsylvania
- Post-Doctoral Marion Loist Nursing Foundation Research Fellowship, University of Pennsylvania
- Education Outcomes: Career Ladder and Articulation Programs from High School to BSN; RN to BSN; RN bridge to MSN; and BSN to MSN; and the student/nurse from diverse and underrepresented populations.
- Decision Making for Treatment Modalities specifically for End-Stage Renal Disease Clients and the Prostate Cancer Clients
- Ethical Decision Making for Clinical Practice
- Research and Education Trajectory for Magnet Hospital Status
- Qualitative and Quantitative Triangulation Methodologies
- Prevention Interventions: Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary
- Nephrology Nursing – Acute and Chronic
- Mentor nurses in clinical practice research
Breckenridge, D. M. (in press). Evidence-based practice and the Neuman systems model. In J. Fawcett & B. Neuman (Eds.), The Neuman systems model (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
Breckenridge, D. M. (in press). A time to give back: Personal philanthropy and fundraising. In J. J. Fitzpatrick, C. M. Shultz, & T. D. Aiken (Eds.), Giving through teaching: How nurse educators are changing the world. New York, NY: NLN Press/Springer Publishing.
Breckenridge, D. M. (2002). Using the Neuman systems model to guide nursing research in the United States. In J. Fawcett & B. Neuman (Eds.), The Neuman systems model (4th ed.) (pp. 176-182). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
Neuman, B., Aylward, P. D., Beynon, C., Breckenridge, D. M., Fawcett, J., Fields, A., Lowry, L., Memmott, R. J., Toot, J. (2000). The Neuman systems model: A futuristic care perspective. In N. L. Chaska (Ed.), The nursing profession: Tomorrow and beyond (pp. 321-330). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Breckenridge, D. M. (1999). Analysis and evaluation of descriptive theory-generating study: The interpretive method of naturalistic inquiry. Patients’ perceptions of why, how, and by whom dialysis treatment modality was chosen. In J. Fawcett (Ed.), The relationship of theory and research (3rd ed.) (pp. 261-282). Philadelphia, PA: F. A. Davis.
Vallerand, A. H., Breckenridge, D. M., & Hodgson, N. (1998). Theories and conceptual models to guide quality of life research. In C. R. King & P. S. Hinds (Eds.), Quality of life: Theory, research, and practice (pp. 37-53). Boston: Jones & Bartlett.
Breckenridge, D. M. (1995). Nephrology practice and directions for nursing research. In B. Neuman (Ed.), The Neuman systems model: Application to nursing education and practice, (3rd ed.) (pp. 267-275). East Norwalk, CT: Appleton and Lange.
Breckenridge, D.M. (2009). Keywords for Evidence-Based Teaching Practice. In preparation to submit to Nursing Education Perspectives. Requested by the NLN Education and Research Council members. Acknowledgement to: Web Repository Work Group: Bower, T., Kinser, A., & Mikol,
Breckenridge, D. M. (2009). Revised and resubmitted to Nursing Education Perspectives, NLN, entitled Nursing Students at Risk: A Model for Success.
Kristiniak, S. B., Breckenridge, D. M., & Soniak, S. (2000). Submitted to Journal of Holistic Nursing. Effect of lavender aromatherapy on the agitation of dementia patients, an acute psychiatric setting: A pilot study.
Schmock, B. N., Breckenridge, D. M., & Benedict, K. (2009). Effect of sacred space environment on surgical patient outcomes: A pilot study. International Journal for Human Caring, 13(1), 49-59.
Wolf, Z. R., & Breckenridge, D. M. (2008). Critiquing nursing research articles: Safety research. Quality and Safety Education for Nurses. http://www.qsen.org/search_strategies.php?id=28
Breckenridge, D. M. (2006). Hospital diversity initiative for new access students: NETS, a career ladder program. Pennsylvania Nurse, 61(4), 22-23.
Keen, M., Breckenridge, D., Frauman, A. C., Hartigan, M. F., Smith, L., Butera, E., Taylor Hooper, S., Mapes, D., Neff, M., & Fawcett, J. (1998). Nursing assessment and intervention for adult hemodialysis patients: Application of Roy’s adaptation model. American Nephrology Nurses Association Journal, 25(3), 311-319.
Breckenridge, D. M. (1997). Patients’ perceptions of why, how, and by whom dialysis treatment modality was chosen. American Nephrology Nurses Association Journal, 24(3), 313-321.
Taylor, S., Breckenridge, D., Butera, E., Hartigan, M.F., Frauman, A. C., Keen, M., Mapes, D., Neff, M., & Fawcett, J. (1992). Images of nephrology nursing practice: Report of a survey. American Nephrology Nurses Association Journal, 19 (4), 361-366.
- Chairman, Diversity Committee, Middle States Association for College Admission Officers
- Chairman of the Government Relations (PAC) Committee of the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association
- Associate Research Director, Abington Memorial Hospital -serve on Institutional Review Board, Education and Research Council, Interdisciplinary Ethics Committee
- Chair of PAC, the Government Relations Committee of the Pennsylvania State Nurses Association (PSNA).
- Legislative Co-Chairman of District #25 Montgomery County with Marilyn Harris and Congressional District Coordinator for the American Nurses Association; and District Liaison for PA State
- Chair-Elect of Nursing Education and Research Council (NERAC). National League for Nursing
2007 Present Member, High School Advisory Board, for Health Career Academies for Philadelphia School District, Olney High School – for Career Ladder for the Diverse Student Underrepresented Population
Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
La Salle University
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141 USA
La Salle University reserves the right to alter or change this information
at any time, without notice.