Contact UsRequest InformationStudent Financial ServicesGraduate Housing

Is the MS Program accredited?
The master of science program in speech-language pathology at La Salle University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), 2200 Research Boulevard, Rockville, MD 20850-3289 (301.296.5700).

Will I receive teacher certification in Pennsylvania?
Speech-Language-Hearing Science graduate students can pursue Teacher Certification for Speech and Language Impaired in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. La Salle University's Speech-Language-Hearing Science Program has received approval for teacher certification for Speech and Language Impaired from the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This Instructional I certificate is needed to work as a Teacher of Speech and Language Impaired in the various school systems in Pennsylvania. Any candidate applying for an Instructional I certificate is required by Pennsylvania State Board regulations to pass the appropriate sections of the Praxis Series Tests: Professional Assessments for Beginning Teachers, administered by the Educational Testing Service. Information about the Praxis Series Tests is available in the Program Director's office. (St. Benilde 2201). Other states may also require prospective teachers to take these or other examinations. In addition to all of the requirements for completion of the Master's degree, candidates for Instructional I certificates must be recommended by the Speech-Language-Hearing Science Program Faculty. Recommendations are predicated upon successful completion of all course requirements with the required Grade Point Average (minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a minimum GPA of 3.0 in SLHS courses). In addition to the SLHS course requirements, candidates for Instructional I certificates must complete approved education courses and an approved full time student teaching practicum (SLH 521).

Which documents do I need to submit for an application?

The complete admissions file, which must be submitted through CSDCAS, include the following:

  • CSDCAS Application
  • Official Transcript(s) of all undergraduate studies and graduate studies
  • Official scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the past five years sent to CSDCAS.  Our Designated Institution Code: 0717 assigned to La Salle University CSDCAS.
  • Three letters of recommendation submitted through CSDCAS, at least two of which must be from an academic source
  • A personal essay in 300 to 500 words, describing your reasons for pursuing graduate study in speech-language pathology.  Please include why you are choosing La Salle University.  We are interested in reading about your career goals as well as your clinical and research interests. You can also include any special life experiences which you believe will further demonstrate your qualifications.

Where will I do my clinical practicum?
In accord with ASHA certification requirements, the SLHS graduate program offers clinical education at various practicum sites. The Speech-Language-Hearing Science Program has established strong ties with more than 250 schools, hospitals, private practices, and rehabilitation facilities in the greater Philadelphia area for supervised clinical practicum affiliations including Abington Memorial Hospital, Moss Rehabilitation Hospital, Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Holy Redeemer Hospital, Voorhees Pediatric Facility, Weisman Children's Rehabilitation Hospital, Magee Rehabilitation Hospital, Christiana Care Health System, AI Du Pont Hospital for Children, and Frankford Health Systems. School-based clinical affiliations have also been established with local school districts, intermediate units (I.U.), and specialized schools throughout the Delaware Valley. These include the Bucks County I.U., Montgomery County I.U., Delaware County I.U., Colonial I.U., the Educational Services Unit of the Burlington County Special Services School District, Gloucester County Special Services School District, Gloucester City Public Schools, Clarke of Pennsylvania Auditory/Oral Center, Upper Darby School District, The Timothy School, Pathway School, and many others.

The Speech-Language Hearing Science Program opened the La Salle University Speech-Language-Hearing Community Clinic at St. Benilde Tower in Spring of 2008. SLHS students have observational and clinical practicum opportunities at this site while receiving close supervision and instruction from La Salle University faculty members.

Can I apply online?
Yes. Click here if you want to apply online now.

When may I be admitted to the program?
Students are admitted for the Fall term only which begins in late August. Completed applications must be submitted to and verified by CSDCAS by February 1.

Where are courses offered and when are they offered?
All courses are offered on the main campus of the University at 20th Street and Olney Avenue in Philadelphia on weekday late afternoons and evenings. However, clinical practicum experiences at our affiliate sites are during business hours.

How many credit hours are required to complete the program and how long does it take to finish the program?
A minimum of 48 semester credit hours is required for completion of the program. Students may have to complete more credits hours to meet certification standards. Usually, this is accomplished in two years, including the summer sessions.

What are the costs of the program?
Tuition (per credit) $785
General University Fee (per semester) $100
Parking Fee (per semester) $70
Technology Fee (per semester) $100

What financial aid is available to me?
Students may apply to the program for graduate assistantships. Also, the SLHS program has received funds from a private foundation to fund partial tuition costs for M.S. Program students whose program of studies will be specially designed to foster the knowledge and skills required to serve the habilitation of deaf and hearing impaired children via the auditory-oral method– not usually part of the typical speech-language pathologist's area of expertise. Students may apply for both the graduate assistantships and the scholarship opportunity.

Federal Direct Loans are available to graduate students who are either US-citizens or permanent residents. Information on the loans may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office at 215.951.1070. The University also provides students with the option of deferred payment, so that students may pay in installments over the course of the semester. Information on this plan may be obtained from the Office of Student and Accounts Receivable at 215.951.1055.

Is it possible to transfer credits from another MS Program?
Students may transfer up to nine credits from another graduate speech-language pathology program. A grade of "B" or better is required in classes transferred, and each request is evaluated by the Program Director on its own merits.

What do I do if I have a complaint or concern?
You can contact the Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) directly with any complaints or concerns that you may have regarding the SLHS Program's compliance with accreditation standards.  To contact the CAA, you can write to theAccreditation Office at ASHA, 2200 Research Boulevard #310, Rockville, Maryland 20850; call ASHA’s Action Center at 800.498.2071; or e-mail to

Other complaints can be directed to Dr. Barbara Amster, Director of the SLHS Program at or to Dr. Brian Goldstein, Dean of the School of Nursing and Health Sciences at

Patti Rager Zuzelo, EdD, MSN, RN, ACNS-BC
Barbara Amster, Ph.D., CCC/SLP
Director and Professor

M.S. in Speech-Language Pathology Program
La Salle University
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141 USA
Phone: 215.951.1986
Fax 215.951.5171

La Salle University reserves the right to alter or change this information
at any time, without notice.

© Copyright 2014 La Salle University