header graphic

By Elizabeth Fehl

Taylor Strickland

The John S. Grady Scholarship is unique to the Honors Program at La Salle. This scholarship is used as a way to financially support Honors students studying abroad for a semester or participating in a travel/study course over spring break. During the 2012-2013 school year, $10,391 in scholarship funds was divided among all 14 students who applied for it. The scholarship awards ranged from a high of $1,000 to a low of $300, and they were determined by need. The previous year, 11 students had requested and received scholarships, but the demand is increasing for these scholarships because many more students are taking advantage of the wonderful opportunities La Salle offers to explore internationally. The director of the Honors Program, Richard Nigro, Ph.D., is responsible for distributing the scholarships.

Taylor Strickland, ’15, an Honors student who participated in the travel/study course to Japan, said, “I really appreciate the money I received from the Grady Scholarship. Without it, I wouldn’t have been able to afford my travel/study to Japan. It was an amazing experience, and one that I’d like to repeat. I’ll certainly be doing more traveling in my future!”

Salvatore Calvo

Another Honors student, Salvatore Calvo, ’14, who is studying abroad in Rome for the spring 2013 semester, said: “I am tremendously grateful for receiving the
Grady Scholarship while studying in Rome. The scholarship has extended my living expense budget by about 15 percent, and I am using the additional money to enrich my stay with tours and sightseeing around Europe. Without the extra funds, for example, I might not have been able to visit Oxford, England, today, where the other Lasallians and I toured the campus, city, and two of the famous museums there.”

Since the funding for this scholarship comes from our generous alumni, we would like to thank you for your support. La Salle’s Honors community greatly appreciates the donations that allow us to truly “never stop exploring.”

© Copyright 2012 La Salle University 1900 W. Olney Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19141