Nancy L. Jones, Ph.D.
Dr. Nancy L. Jones served as Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry where she taught for thirteen years. She has taught and/or developed Chemistry courses for science majors and non-science majors as well as integrated science and math courses for non-science majors. She has performed research at Iowa State University and as a Visiting Research Scientist in the Central Research and Development Department at the DuPont Company. Her research interests include the intercalation of layered materials, X-ray crystallographic studies, and organometallic chemistry. She has authored 29 publications and presentations.
Dr. Jones became the Director of the Integrated Science, Business, and Technology Program at La Salle in January of 1999 wherein she was asked to design and implement the new undergraduate major program including instituting an external advisory board, hiring new faculty and staff, preparing a new curriculum, recruiting of the first class of 20 ISBT students, and garnering funds in the amount of $120K to support various program development projects. She coordinated the move of the Department, including faculty and all equipment and instrumentation, to West Campus in May 2008 and the move back in August 2009 to the newly renovated and expanded Holroyd Hall.
Areas of Expertise
- Inorganic Chemistry
- High-Temperature Superconductors
- Natural Resource Management
- Consumer Chemistry
- Northwestern University, Ph.D. Inorganic Chemistry, 1983
- Northwestern University, M.S. Inorganic Chemistry, 1979
- University of Rochester, B.S. Chemistry, 1978
- Living Systems I
- Living Systems Technology
- Fundamentals of Energy and Natural Resources
- Natural Resource Management
- ISBT Capstone I and II
- ISBT Internship and Co-op
- General Chemistry I and II
- Advanced Inorganic Chemistry
- Consumer Chemistry, Chemistry: Issues in Society
- Quantum Chemistry – Group Theory
- Independent Research
- Explorations in Science and Mathematics I and II
Smith, Jr., Dale C., Christopher M. Haar, Lubin Luo Chunbang Li, Michele E. Cucullu, Charles H. Mahler, Steven P. Nolan, William J. Marshall, Nancy L. Jones, and Paul J. Fagan. "Correlation between Structural and Solution Calorimetric Data for Cp*Ru(PR3)2Cl (Cp* = C5Me5) Complexes." Organometallics 18 (1999): 2357-361. Print.
Serron, Scafford A., Lubin Luo, Edwin D. Stevens, Steven P. Nolan, Nancy L. Jones, and Paul J. Fagan. "Organoruthenium Thermochemistry. Enthalpies of Reaction of Cp’Ru(COD)Cl (Cp’ = 5-C5H5 and 5-C5Me5) with Tertiary Phosphite Ligands." Organometallics 15.24 (1996): 5209-215. Print.
Miller, Joel S., Carlos Vazquez, Nancy L. Jones, R. Scott McLean, and Arthur J. Epstein. "Magnetic Behavior of Octaethylporphyrinatomanganese(III) Tetracyanoethenide, (MnOEP) (TCNE), a Hexacyanobutadienide, (MnOEP) (C4(CN)6): The Importance of a Uniform Chain for Stabilizing Strong Effective Ferromagnetic Coupling." J. Mat. Chem. 5 (1995): 707-11. Print.
Manriquez, Juan M., Michael D. Ward, William M. Reiff, Joseph C. Calabrese, Nancy L. Jones, Patrick J. Carroll, Emilio E. Bunel, and Joel S. Miller. "• Structural and Physical Properties of Delocalized Mixed Valent [Cp*M(pentalene)-M'Cp* ]n+and [Cp*M(indacene)M'Cp*]n+ (M, M’ = Fe, Co, Ni; N=0,1,2) Complexes." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 117.23 (1995): 6182-193. Print.
Cucullu, Michele E., Lubin Luo, Steven P. Nolan, Paul J. Fagan, Nancy L. Jones, and Joseph C. Calabrese. "Enthalpies of Reaction of (5- C5H5)Ru(cyclooctadiene)Cl with Tertiary Phosphine Ligands: Ligand Substitution as a Gauge for Metal Basicity and a Linear Correlation of Bond Length and Bond Enthalpy." Organometallics 14.1 (1995): 289-96. Print.
Arduengo III, Anthony J., Hans Bock, Han Chen, Michael Denk, David A. Dixon, Jennifer C. Green, Wolfgang A. Herrmann, Nancy L. Jones, Matthias Wagner, and Robert West. "Photoelectron Spectroscopy of a Carbene/Silylene/Germylene Series." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 116.15 (1994): 6641-649. Print.
- 2003 – Present, Professor of Integrated Science, Business, and Technology, La Salle University
- 1999 – 2003, Associate Professor of Integrated Science, Business, and Technology, La Salle University
- 1991 – 1999, Associate Professor Chemistry and Biochemistry, La Salle University
- 1986 – 1991, Assistant Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry, La Salle University
- 1985 – 1986, Lecturer in Department of Chemistry, Bryn Mawr College