William L. Weaver, Ph.D.
Dr. Weaver attended Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania where he earned the Bachelor of Science degree with majors in Chemistry and Physics in 1988. He attended The Ohio State University Graduate School earning the Ph.D. degree in Analytical Chemistry in 1992 under the direction of Professor Terry L. Gustafson with specializations in ultrafast laser spectroscopy, instrument development, system automation and algorithmic data analysis. After a post-doctoral appointment in the College of Medicine and Public Health of The Ohio State University, he became an on-site defense contractor at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in what is now the Combustion and Laser Diagnostics Research Complex of the Air Force Research Laboratory Propulsion Directorate.
In 1999, he left the defense industry and joined the faculty at La Salle University as an Assistant Professor to collaborate on the development of a new Bachelor of Science degree in Integrated Science, Business, and Technology. Dr. Weaver develops and teaches courses in Systems Analysis, Physics, Instrumentation and Measurement, Materials, Laboratory Informatics, Collaborative Software Development, Intelligent Systems and Knowledge Discovery. His personal research interests center around automation, algorithmic intelligence, and collaboration.
Areas of Expertise
- Analytical Chemistry
- Instrument/Measurement Design
- Systems Thinking
- Intelligent Systems
- Social Networking/Collaboration
- The Ohio State University, Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, 1992
- Slippery Rock University Of Pennsylvania, B.S. Chemistry and Physics, 1988
- Quantitative Analysis
- Instrumental Analysis
- Technology and Systems Analysis
- Technology Foundations I – Processes
- Instrumentation and Measurement
- Technology Foundations II – Materials
- Laboratory Informatics
- Collaborative Software Development
- Information and Knowledge Management
- Toward Intelligent Systems
- Intelligent Systems
- Knowledge Discovery
- Independent Research
- Chemical Research
- Capstone Experience I and II
Weaver, William L. "Thinking in Pictures: General-purpose Computing on Graphics Processing Units." HPC Source. Advantage Business Media, Sept. 2011. Web.
Weaver, William L. "One Step at a Time: Innovations in Next-generation Genome Sequencing." Scientific Computing. Advantage Business Media, May-June 2011. Web.
Weaver, William. "Managing into Mastering: The Rise of Master Data Integration." Scientific Computing. Advantage Business Media, Jan.-Feb. 2011. Web.
Weaver, Bill. "Drinking from the Fire Hose: Storage Algorithms for Genomic Data." HPC Source. Advantage Business Media, 15 Aug. 2010. Web.
Handal, John A., Richard F. Frisch, William L. Weaver, Eric A. Williams, and Darlise Dimatteo. "Method for the Physical Analysis of Drug-Bone Cement Composite." Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 459.105 (2007): 105-09. Print.
- 2008 – Present, Associate Professor of Integrated Science, Business and Technology, La Salle University
- 1999 – 2008, Assistant Professor in the Integrated Science, Business and Technology Program, La Salle University
- 1996 – 1999, Analytical Chemist, Innovative Scientific Solutions, Inc.
- 1993 – 1996, Research Chemist, Systems Research Laboratories, Inc.
- Gord, James R., Steven W. Buckner, William L. Weaver, and Keith D. Grinstead Jr. Optical Method for Quantitating Dissolved Oxygen in Fuel. Government of the United States of America as Represented by the Secretary of the Air Force, assignee. Patent US591970. 6 July 1999. Print.