Political Handbook of the World 2013 edition is now out.
For eighty years, researchers seeking government and political information on countries around the globe have turned to Political Handbook of the World for the most authoritative and complete presentation of facts and analysis.
Political Handbook of the World provides thorough and accurate information on the major aspects of each country’s government and political party system. As a convenient, one-volume print source for global political information, each edition features country profiles that include:
- Key facts: Political status, area, population, major urban centers, official language, monetary unit, heads of government, heads of state, ambassadors, and U.S. and U.N. representation.
- Government and political history: Historical trends, regime changes, constitutional history, and regional and global policy issues of concern.
- Current Issues: Headline-making events, trends, controversies, and challenges.
- Political parties and organizations: Leading and minor parties, quasi-partisan and extra-systemic organizations, alliances, party histories, ideology, and leadership.
- Legislatures and cabinets: Recent national election results, legislative leaders, cabinet ministers.
- Communications: Names, circulation, and political affiliation of major national media; news agencies; television coverage and Internet usage.
In addition to the United Nations and its specialized agencies, the Handbook profiles a number of intergovernmental organizations, such as the African Union, OPEC, NATO, the WTO, regional banks, and the International Criminal Court.
The online edition of Political Handbook of the World combines the same comprehensive country and intergovernmental organization profiles from the print edition with a convenient, user-friendly database that organizes the content with a number of browses. Major political events that have occurred since the publication of the print volume have been included as notes at the beginning of affected entries. Users can quickly access content from the Handbook by navigating a virtual table of contents, performing a keyword search, or browsing for country profiles by:
- Regime Type
- Party System
- Electoral System
- System of Government