Karen Reardon, Ph.D., J.D.
Office: College Hall 407G
Prior to joining the faculty of LaSalle in 2012, Professor Reardon practiced law as a partner and associate attorney with two multi-national law firms and, most recently, as the managing partner of her own boutique law firm and mediator. She represented both individuals and companies in disputes involving: insurance and reinsurance; directors and officers of commercial, non-profit, and managed care organizations; trust and bank operations; employment practices; lawyers and other professionals. She has managed, litigated, arbitrated and mediated lawsuits involving securities fraud, corporate takeovers, employment discrimination and terminations, white-collar crime, public officials liability, benefits administration, and bankruptcy. She has been retained as a consulting and testifying expert in evaluating the reasonableness of attorneys’ fees and securities settlements, duties of cooperation, and issues of indemnification.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Law
- Director and Officer Liability and Indemnification
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Vanderbilt University School of Law: Nashville, TN, Juris Doctor Degree 1986
- University Of Michigan: Ann Arbor, MI, Ph. D. Candidate, Sociology Master of Arts 1983
- University Of Pennsylvania: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Bachelor of Arts Degree 1981
- Franklin College: Lugano, Switzerland, Semester Abroad 1980
- Legal Environment of Business
- Competing in a Global Market I: Analysis of the Business Environment
- Introduction to Sociology Through Community Organizations
- Introduction to Sociology Through Social Psychology
- Sociology of Law
Publications and Reviews
· Invited Review: Mobilization Journal, Summer 2011
· “Raising the Bar: How the 2007 Supreme Court’s Recent Decisions Are Good for Corporations and Their Insurers.” Andrews Corporate Directors and Officers Liability Reporter, Vol.23, Issue2/July 23, 2007.
· “The Resolution of the Conseco Securities & Coverage Litigation: What Really Happened, How it Happened and What it Means Going Forward.” PLUS Journal, November 2005.
· “Avoiding Liability as a Non-Profit Director.” CBA (Chicago Bar Association) Record, April 2005.
· “Not All Settlements of Claims are Covered ‘Losses’ Under D&O or E&O Policies.” Mealey’s Emerging Insurance Disputes, May 20, 2003.
· “Disqualifying an Opposing Party – Arbitrator Before the Arbitration.” Mealey’s Litigation Reports – Reinsurance, January 2001.
· “What the Prudent Director or Officer of Illinois Non-Profit Corporations Should Know.” Illinois Nonprofit Chronicle, November 2000.
· “A Critical Examination of Plaintiffs’ Damage Analysis: An Important Defensive Tactic After Daubert and Kumho.” Andrews Corporate Officers and Directors Liability Reporter, January 2000.
· "When the Merits Matter: The Influence of Insurance on Settlements in Securities Class Actions." Andrews Securities Litigation and Regulation Reporter in three parts on December 23, 1998 (Part I); August 23, 1999 (Part II); and September 13, 1999 (Part III).
· "A Hypothetical - Can a Professional Recover under an E&O Policy for Lost Business Arising from Employee Negligence?" in Mealey's Emerging Insurance Disputes, August 1998.
· “If You Paid for Legal Services Recently, Chances are You Paid Too Much: Hourly Billing and the Reasonable Attorney Fee Standard." CPCU Journal, September 1995 and reprinted in the 1996 Insurance Law Review (Vol. 7) as one of the year's best insurance articles.
Presentations and Conferences
· Paper: “Our National Soul: An Exploratory Study of the Emergence of Nonprofit Organizations.” Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action Conference (ARNOVA) Fellows Seminar, November 2012
· Invited Participant: White House Conference on Sustainable and Green Communities with U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Shaun Donovan, December , 2011
· Moderator and Speaker: “The Birth of Relevant Research and Good Practice: The Enduring Chicken or Egg Issue?” Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action Conference, Toronto, Canada, November 2011.
· Invited Lecture: “Situating Community Organizations In a Socio-Legal Context” at Richard Stockton College, September 2011.
· Invited Participant, White House Conference on Education with U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, March 2011.
· Paper: “Leveraging Social Capital: Exploration of Chicago’s Tutor Mentor Movement” Conference on Equity and Social Justice, Richard Stockton College, March 2011.
· Moderator and Speaker: “Under Fire: The Criminal D&O Defendant” at the Professional Liability Underwriting Society’s (PLUS) International Conference in San Diego, November 2004.
· Speaker: “Emerging Issues in Handling Professional Liability Claims” at the PLUS International Conference in Philadelphia, November 2003. Speaker: “Ensuring Protection for D&O Coverage in Corporate Bankruptcies” Institute for International Research Seminar on D&O Liability in New York, September 2003.
· Moderator and Speaker: “A Critical Examination of Plaintiffs’ Damage Analysis: An Important Defensive Tactic after Daubert and Kumho” at thePLUS International Conference San Diego, November 2000.
· Moderator and Speaker: “The Debate You Asked For: Is Damage Analysis in Securities Litigation Against Directors and Officers Junk Science?” at the PLUS International Conference New York, November 1999.
· Moderator and Speaker: "Valuing the Claim Against Directors and Officers: How Damages Sought in a Securities Complaint Impact Settlements, Judgments, Reserves and Underwriting" PLUS International Conference in Palm Springs, California, November 1998.
· Speaker:"Emerging Areas of Directors and Officers Liability" at the PLUSDirectors and Officers Liability Symposium in New York, January 1998.
· Speaker: “Non-Profit Professional Liability Insurance and Employment Practices Liability Claims.” Chicago Bar Association, January 1996. Speaker: “Professional Liability Coverage Issues.” Chicago Bar Association, January 1995.
· Speaker: “Emerging Issues in Directors And Officers Liability Insurance” at Lloyd’s of London, Spring 1994.
· Speaker: “Risk Management For Meeting Planning: Issues Of Liability and Insurance.” American Society of Association Executives in Orlando, Florida, March 1993.
Grants and Awards
· Fellows Award and Travel Grant, Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action Conference (ARNOVA) October 2012.
· University of Michigan Center for Nonprofit and Public Management 2012 Research Grant Award.