Contact UsRequest InformationStudent Financial ServicesGraduate Housing

Frequently Asked Questions

Which documents do I need to submit for an application?
The complete admissions file consists of three documents:

  • Application form itself
  • Transcript of undergraduate studies
  • Letter of recommendation from a professor or a work-supervisor

When may I be admitted to the program?
The program admits students for fall (late August), spring (mid-January), and summer (mid-May) sessions.

Where are courses offered and when are they offered?
All courses are offered on the main campus of the University at 20th Street and Olney Avenue in Philadelphia on weekday evenings: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evenings. There are no day or weekend classes.

How many credit hours are required to complete the program and how long does it take to finish the program?
Thirty (30) semester credit hours are required for completion of the program. Usually, this is accomplished in two years, although it may be done in more or less time.

What are the costs of the program?
Currently, the University charges $620 per credit hour for courses in this program; thus, one course would cost $1, 860. To this the University adds an $85 general fee each semester.

What financial aid is available to me?
The program makes small scholarships available to in-coming students ($300-). There are work opportunities in the office of the program (max 10 hrs. per week at minimum wage), and Federal Loans are available to graduate students who are either US-citizens or permanent residents. Information on the loans may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office at 215-951-1070. The University also provides students with the option of deferred payment, so that students may pay in installments over the course of the semester. Information on this plan may be obtained from the Office of Student and Accounts Receivable at 215-951-1055.

Is housing available for graduate students?
Limited on-campus housing is available to graduate students. Also the University will assist graduate students in identifying suitable off-campus housing. For starters refer to the website:

May I obtain further information on the program?
Yes. We will gladly mail an information packet to you that contains application forms, course listings, and descriptive brochures.

How does this program compare to similar programs?
The program is unique. It is the only Master's-level Central and Eastern European Studies program in the United States. It is a multi-disciplinary area studies program that provides information on the area between the Rhine and the Urals.

How diverse is the student population?
Very. About half of the students are “regular” Americans; the other half are international students from Eastern Europe. The international students have come from Albania, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Croatia, Lithuania, Poland,Romania, Russia, Serbia, Turkey, and Ukraine.

What is the nature of the M.A. curriculum?
Students complete 30 credit hours of courses (10 courses). Nine are electives and one (the capstone seminar) is required of everyone. The nine elective provide the student with the opportunity to focus on an area of specialty, such as a concentration in political science, business, and economics or a concentration in literature, history, and philosophy. In the one course required of all a Master’s thesis is written under the direct supervision of a professor. In addition to the lecture courses, instruction in German and Russian at several levels is offered for graduate credit and tutoring is available for no credit and at no cost in Bulgarian, German, Polish, Russian, Serbian, and Ukrainian.

Will transfer credits be recognized?
Yes. We can recognize up to 6 semester credits of graduate work from another institution. This effectively reduces your program with us from 30 credit hours (10 courses) to 24 credit hours (8 courses). Courses to be transferred must have received “B” or better grades.

I am an International Student. Will my studies at a European University be recognized?
Yes. Six semesters of study at a European University will be recognized as the equivalent of an American Bachelor’s degree.

As an international student I will need a F1 student visa. Will you assist me in obtaining this?
Yes. We will process your documents both academic and financial to obtain an I-20 form for you with which you should be able to obtain the requisite visa.

What do students do who complete the M.A. program?
Students pursue diverse career paths. Some find employment in Foreign Service and the intelligence community. Others are teachers in Social Studies fields, German or Russian in area high schools. Some pursue Ph.D. studies and become university professors. A number of our students have followed business careers working for US companies that conduct business internationally.

Luis A. Gomez, Ph.D.

Luis A. Gomez, Ph.D.

M.A. in Central and Eastern European Studies
1900 West Olney Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141 USA
Phone: 215.951.1200
Fax: 215.991.3699

La Salle University reserves the right to alter or change this information
at any time, without notice.

© Copyright 2014 La Salle University