Program Goals and Outcomes
The Undergraduate Nursing Program strives to do the following:
- Educate nurses for entry into professional practice.
- Foster development of a practice perspective that appreciates the health-care needs of individuals, families, groups, communities, and populations in a diverse society.
- Prepare nurses leaders to effect change in health-care and community systems.
- Instill the value for life-long learning as a hallmark of the professional nurse and as a foundation for graduate study.
Student Learning Outcomes
At the completion of the program, the student will do the following:
- Utilize research-based, theoretical, scientific, and clinical knowledge from nursing and other disciplines as a basis for nursing practice and policy development.
- Implement culturally appropriate strategies for health promotion, risk reduction, and disease prevention for diverse individuals, families, groups, and communities across the lifespan.
- Provide safe nursing care to address complex needs of patients and caregivers throughout the course of illness, healing, and rehabilitation.
- Use clinical judgment and decision-making skills when assessing the health status of individuals and families and evaluating their response to health care.
- Demonstrate competency when providing, coordinating, collaborating, and managing nursing care in various environments and health-care delivery systems.
- Engage in partnerships with individuals, families, communities, and health-care professionals to promote health and prevent disease.
- Evaluate nursing and health-care services based on ethical, legal, professional, and evidence-based policy and practice standards.
- Value self-directed learning for continuing professional development.
- Practice as a change agent in health-care delivery systems particularly to promote quality accessible care for vulnerable and underserved populations.
- Use information and practice technologies to support evidence-based nursing practices that reduce healthcare errors and improve access to cost-effective quality healthcare.
- Demonstrate readiness for professional nurse licensure examination through achieving benchmarks and remediating individual performance to curriculum standards in classroom and nationally normed standardized examinations.