Column One: Numbers 1 to 24
F. JOHN HETHERINGTON, F.S.C.
F. ANDREW COLLINS, F.S.C.
FELICIAN P. McLAUGHLIN, F.S.C.
E. CHARLES McINERNEY, F.S.C.
GERVALD LEONARD RING, F.S.C.
FRANCIS de S. O'NEILL, F.S.C.
HERBERT S. WEBER
JOSEPH M. CROWLEY
WILLIAM E. HOWE
GEORGE THOMAS HALTON, F.S.C.
FELIX PATRICK MURPHY, F.S.C.
E. ABDON POPP, F.S.C.
E. ALFRED KELLY, F.S.C.
EMILIAN J. FITZPATRICK, F.S.C.
G. LUCIAN McGURK, F.S.C.
GEORGE LEWIS MATTHEWS, F.S.C.
E. CLEMENTIAN BRENNAN, F.S.C.
EDWARD LUKE McCUSKER, F.S.C.
E. FELIX BLANKEMEYER, F.S.C.
D. AUGUSTINE McCAFFREY, F.S.C.
JOHN F. McGLYNN
F. AZARIAS KING, F.S.C.
EDWIN W. ADAMS
1. Emil Doernenburg (1880 – 1935)
record-keeping in the older days does not reveal when Dr. Doernenburg
began teaching at La Salle; it was certainly by the 1920s, when the
school was at 1240 North Broad Street. A noted scholar and poet, Dr.
Doernenburg authored a well-regarded book about German-American
ballads. He specialized in the teaching of German at La Salle, but also
branched into Spanish and French instruction. Dr. Doernenburg received
an honorary degree from La Salle in 1933. After his death, the school’s
German Club was renamed the Doernenburg Society.
2. F. John Hetherington, F.S.C. (Brother Felician John) (1880 – 1940)
many early records are ambiguous and unclear, it is safe to assert that
Brother John taught at the college level of La Salle in
1918-1925 (physics and chemistry) and in 1938-1940 (mathematics and
ethics). He also served as the Sub-Director of the Christian Brothers’
Community (1921-1925). The catalogs of La Salle during the early 1920s
were published sporadically and are not easily dated with precision,
but one catalog published between 1922 and 1925 identified Brother John
as the Vice-President of La Salle. Earlier in time, Brother John taught
at La Salle (1902-1906 and 1914-1915), but these years were probably at the high school level.
3. F. Andrew Collins, F.S.C. (Brother Fidelis Andrew) (1912 – 1941)
Andrew taught English at La Salle, 1936-1941. Equally important,
however, he became synonymous with the student publications all during
that time. He moderated the Collegian (1936-1941) and inaugurated the Explorer (yearbook), becoming its moderator for the 1940 and 1941 issues. The 1942 Explorer
was dedicated to his memory. In 1939, Brother Andrew began the annual
La Salle Press Conference for high school and collegiate students in
the Philadelphia area; literary leaders were showcased and given an
opportunity to share insights with journalism-minded youth. He promoted
La Salle’s social events, notably the Harvest Dance, the Diamond
Jubilee (1863-1938) Ball, and the annual Blue and Gold Ball. Brother
Andrew served as the moderator of the La Salle Alumni in 1940 and
4. Felician P. McLaughlin, F.S.C. (Brother Felician Patrick) (1874 – 1945)
Felician taught three different times at La Salle (1916-1921, 1932-1937, and
1941-1945), but the first of these definitely involved his teaching at the high school level. [The catalog of 1932-33 did not list him in
the College faculty section, but his name does appear in the catalogs
from 1933-34 onward.] A teacher of English literature and composition,
he was remembered as a “profound Shakespearian scholar” by an obituary
writer. Brother Felician was one of the first Christian Brothers of the
Baltimore Province to earn a Ph.D. degree.* His fame as a writer and
educator brought him honorary degrees from both Villanova and Niagara.
During the 1930s he regularly wrote a column in the Collegian.
5. E. Charles McInerney, F.S.C. (Brother Eadbert Charles) (1880 – 1947)
Charles taught four different times at La Salle:1902-1903, 1911-1912,
1921-1928, and 1932-1947. Of these times, he was definitely teaching
at the college level during 1911-1912, 1925-28, and 1933-1947.
The early catalogs did not identify chairmen of academic departments,
but a catalog published between 1926 and 1928 noted that Brother
Charles headed the Chemistry Department. Whether working with high
schoolers or collegians, his mastery of chemistry profoundly impacted
the students from La Salle who entered into medical professions.
6. Gervald Leonard Ring, F.S.C. (Brother Gervald Leonard) (1882 – 1948)
native of Ireland, Brother Leonard was one of three siblings who became
Christian Brothers. He was as comfortable in a classroom as he was on
the athletic fields of La Salle. At the collegiate level, Brother
Leonard taught sociology and “political economy” (later renamed
political science) from 1931-1945. [Two catalogs (1933-34 and 1934-35)
additionally identified him as the “Dean of the School of Business
Administration” before it was officially established in 1955.] He was
the founding moderator of Sigma Phi Lambda, La Salle’s oldest
fraternity, in 1935. He enjoyed sporting events at La Salle,
especially football and basketball, and displayed a keen interest in
clubs and activities. Leonard Hall, a building which was part of the
campus from 1947 until the mid-1970s, was named in his honor. At the
Alumni Reunion Weekend in May 2005, Sigma Phi Lambda conducted a brief,
informal ceremony to remember Brother Leonard’s legacy in the small
quadrangle where this structure stood. At the same event in 2006, a
memorial plaque to Brother Leonard was placed into the quadrangle’s
7. Francis de S. O’Neill, F.S.C. (Brother Francis de Sales) (1882 – 1949)
Brother Francis de Sales served as the Dean of the College (1930-1931),
but returned to La Salle several years later to teach education courses
(1935-1938). The catalog of 1937-38 indicated that he additionally
served as the “Director of Religious Instruction.” During his career,
he was the director and principal in a number of schools conducted by
the De La Salle Christian Brothers.
8. Herbert S. Weber (? - 1950)
Available records indicate that Herbert Weber was a faculty member at
La Salle for only three years (1947-1950), but his impact ran deeply.
He taught history during that first year, but English was his specialty
during the next two years. Not long after his death, the teachers of
English and their students inaugurated the Herbert S. Weber Society in
autumn 1950 to discuss pertinent issues regarding literature and
writing. A lengthy nine-paragraph obituary appeared in the Collegian of February 28, 1951.
9. Joseph M. Crowley (1868 – 1952)
A large metal plaque entitled “Crowley Hill” stands near the south end
of McCarthy Stadium—and for good reason. Beginning in 1926, Joseph
Michael Crowley, a Germantown quarryman and landscaping engineer, was
associated with La Salle when it located at 1240 North Broad Street.
When the first three buildings of the new 20th and Olney campus were
completed by 1930, Crowley supervised improvements to the ambiance of
the new campus, such as tree-lined walks on the quadrangle, new trees
and shrubbery, and the original Sacred Heart statue in the center of
the quadrangle. He also designed the original football field (arranged
just beyond the rear door of Wister Hall, perpendicular to today’s
configuration), the original track (later replaced by today’s modern
Wetzler Track), and the leveling of the original baseball field
(today’s Hank DeVincent Field). Around 1933 he began the transformation of the football field into the new McCarthy Stadium by way of a
landfill, placing 150,000 cubic yards of earth using only his eye, a
line of string, and horse-drawn equipment. On November 11, 2000, a
flagpole at McCarthy Stadium and the aforementioned plaque were
dedicated to his memory. His son, Michael Edward Crowley, was an active
student during his years at La Salle and later taught business courses
at the College.
10. William E. Howe (? - 1953)
A Certified Public Accountant, William E. Howe joined the La Salle
faculty in autumn 1931, and that year was teaching “Money, Credit and
Accounting.” The catalogs indicate that he taught accounting through
the 1943-1944 academic year. Identification of the chairs of academic
departments was spotty at best in the old records, but the 1942 Explorer
yearbook identified him as the chair of the Accounting Department. In
the same yearbook, Mr. Howe contributed a quarter-page advertisement
which stated that his CPA business was at “308 Finance Building” in
Philadelphia. The 1942-1943 catalog, in addition to mentioning his
accounting instruction, cited his directorship of La Salle’s Students’
Placement Bureau. Today, the William E. Howe and Co. (established in
1918) is a Philadelphia-based Certified Public Accountant firm which
serves a diverse range of clients.
11. George Thomas Halton, F.S.C. (Brother George Thomas) (1911 - 1955)
During his six years at La Salle College (1947-1953),
Brother George Thomas combined teaching English and public speaking
with his duties as Dean of Freshmen. He also moderated the college
chapter of the National Federation of Catholic College Students.
12. Felix Patrick Murphy, F.S.C. (Brother Felix Patrick) (1893 - 1955)
Brother Felix Patrick taught at two different times at La Salle High School (1915-1918
and 1943-1946), but did not work at La Salle’s College until
the final half-year of his life. An obituary writer (Brother Edward
Patrick) noted that Brother Felix Patrick was the “Director of Student
Housing” during the fall of 1955 and died during the Christmas
13. E. Abdon Popp, F.S.C. (Brother Elesbaan Abdon) (1879 - 1956)
Brother Abdon taught German at La Salle during three different times:1931-1932,
1935-1937, and 1938-1952. The earlier years were most likely at the high school level; while collegiate catalogs listed him as a regular
faculty member in 1936-37, 1940-41, and from 1942-43 onward. La Salle
College conferred an honorary degree on Brother Abdon in 1950 in
recognition of his academic dedication.
14. E. Alfred Kelly, F.S.C. (Brother Elzear Alfred) (1872 - 1957)
his distinguished Vandyke beard, Brother Alfred held the presidency
(1928-1932) during an eventful time. He oversaw La Salle’s long-awaited
move from 1240 North Broad Street to 20th and Olney (the High School in
September 1929, the College in February 1930). He landscaped the
original campus into what we know today, and steered La Salle through
its first Middle Atlantic States evaluation. As the Great Depression
cast a lengthy shadow, Brother Alfred held La Salle together until his
own health showed signs of stress. He remained at the campus after the
presidency, teaching public speaking and directing intercollegiate
debate. Before leaving La Salle in 1944, he founded a
series of seminars and classes for the training of labor leaders, which
was known as the La Salle College Civic and Social Congress. A framed
portrait of Brother Alfred is positioned on the landing between the
first and second floors of the Connelly Library.
15. Emilian J. Fitzpatrick, F.S.C. (Brother Emilian of Jesus) (1902-1957)
as a voracious reader and a universal scholar, Brother Emilian could
seemingly converse with anyone regarding any topic. His
teaching of philosophy at La Salle College covered the years 1925-1927, 1941-1944, and
16. G. Lucian McGurk, F.S.C. (Brother Galbert Lucian) (1878 – 1959)
his religious name was Brother Galbert Lucian, he was familiarly known
to confreres as “Gabby Lucian” because he was a great source of fun and
amusement. A gifted science teacher, his specialty was biology. His
rise through La Salle’s ranks was rapid, from instructing high school
seniors (1918-1919), to teaching college students (1919-1922), to
the presidency (1922-1925). During the latter period he articulated La
Salle’s great need to expand 1240 North Broad Street or to move to a
new site. Although the Latin Question was resolved in 1923 (it allowed the Christian Brothers to study and teach Latin),accommodations
at this time for the increased number of applicants were lacking at La Salle's cramped
location. Brother Lucian later returned to La Salle in 1931 and served as the
Dean of the College (1931-1934); he held the additional title of
“Secretary” from 1932 to 1934. He returned to La Salle one
last time (1948-1950), during which he was essentially retired.
17. George Lewis Matthews, F.S.C. (Brother George Lewis) (1888 – 1960)
half (34 years) of Brother George Lewis’ life was lived at La
Salle. He taught mathematics and physics at the college level during
most of his first two times there:1913-1918 and 1919-1922. Returning
as a college mathematics teacher in 1934, Brother Lewis became the Dean
in 1938 until 1944. His next role was to serve as La Salle’s Vice
President (1944-1952 although the catalogs indicate that he still taught some
college math while holding these two positions. He then closed out his
career with college math instruction. Honorary degrees from La Salle
and from the University of Scranton (1954) accentuated a most
productive career. A biographer described him as a pioneer
“University Brother” at a time when a lengthy college assignment was a sign
of special talent.
18. E. Clementian Brennan, F.S.C. (Brother Ephrem Clementian) (1897 – 1961)
Although the wartime records are somewhat vague, Brother Clementian
appears to have taught English at La Salle College for three years:1942-1945. During part of this time (1943-1944), however, he served as
“Supervisor of Classes” (probably monitoring the progress of
the young teaching Brothers) and from 1944 to 1945 as Pro-Director of the Brothers’
Community. In 1947 Brother Clementian began teaching college English and some theology continuously until his death
in 1961. During his last year at La Salle (1960-1961) he was the
Sub-Director of the Brothers’ Community. One of the clubs for
donations administered by University Advancement
has been the Brother Clementian Club.
19. Edward Luke McCusker, F.S.C. (Brother Edward Luke) (1901 – 1961)
Brother Luke taught English at La Salle College at two different time:1934-1936 and 1940-1947. He moderated the Collegian during most of these years.
20. E. Felix Blankemeyer, F.S.C. (Brother Elesbaan Felix) (1877 – 1962)
Brother Felix served in many roles during his two decades (1928-1948) at La
Salle. For 16 of those years (1928-1944), he served as both
Vice-President and as Sub-Director of the Brothers’ Community. He twice
served as Dean of the College (1928-1930 and 1934-1938). Brother Felix
also held the position of Director of Religious Instruction
(1939-1945). During most of his time at La Salle, he taught education
courses, but also taught philosophy, German, and religion classes, as needed.
He received a honorary degree from La Salle (1928) and later moderated
the inaugural issues of the Collegian in 1931. As one writer
observed, Brother Felix achieved his distinction of scholar and teacher
by sheer determination in an era of no scholasticates, grants, or
fellowships to smooth the path to learning.
21. D. Augustine McCaffrey, F.S.C. (Brother Dominic Augustine) (1900 – 1963)
Brother Augustine was ahead of his time. He not only taught sociology
for two decades (1942-1963), but also served as a role model
to his students with clarity and dedication. He taught about marriage and
family for the benefit of his students. An advocate for interracial
harmony and justice before the mainstream civil rights movement was
articulated, Brother Augustine was a major participant of several advocacy
councils. He enjoyed a high-profile image with the National Federation
of Catholic College Students. Earlier (1944-1948), he served as either
the Sub-Director or the Pro-Director of the Christian Brothers’
Community at La Salle. The appearance of Dorothy Day and other
significant speakers at La Salle over the decades was likely
attributable in part to his influence. In September 2001, La Salle
University remembered his social-minded contributions by establishing
the Brother Augustine Center (5632 Uber Street) to help commuters and
off-campus students increase their campus involvement.
22. John F. McGlynn (1921? - 1963)
John F. McGlynn came to La Salle in 1950 and taught English until his
premature death at the age of 42. He was an editorial staff
member of La Salle’s Four Quarters magazine in its early
days, contributing some literary pieces to it. Mr. McGlynn co-authored
a high school teacher’s manual published shortly before his passing.
23. F. Azarias King, F.S.C. (Brother Francis Azarias) (1897 – 1965)
Not many faculty have been synonymous with a single letter (“Brother
A,” or “The Great A,”), but Brother Azarias definitely came the
closest. He was the consummate educator, teaching at La Salle’s
collegiate level on three occasions:1939-1940, 1942-1944, and
1947-1965. His specialty was education, and his impact helped the
reputation of La Salle College to soar. Brother Azarias was a one-man
employment bureau, with many graduates well-placed within the
Philadelphia public school system alone; he was even dubbed “the Pope
of the Public Schools.” Brother Azarias was equally active in Catholic
circles, being a major figure in the National Catholic Educational
24. Edwin W. Adams (unknown dates)
Edwin W. Adams joined the Education Department at La Salle in 1951. He
had been the associate superintendent of the Philadelphia Public School District and also president of the Philadelphia Teachers College. It is
not currently known when he stopped teaching at La Salle, but it was
probably late 1964, 1965, or 1966, because his name does not appear in
the 1966-1967 catalog. Similarly, his date of death is not currently known.