Column Three: Numbers 49 to 72

WILLIAM COPPOLA

F. VINCENT GRIMES, F.S.C.

MICHAEL A. De ANGELIS

FRANK R. ENGARD

E. LOUIS FERNANDEZ, F.S.C.

JOSEPH W. SCERNI

MARY M. FINSTERBUSCH

C. RICHARD CLEARY

CHARLES J. FULFORTH

EDWARD J. ALLGEIER, F.S.C.

WILLIAM J. MARTIN, F.S.C.

AUSTIN J. APP

E. RUSSELL NAUGHTON

REV. JOHN BOGACZ

JAMES J. DEVLIN

ROLAND HOLROYD, A. F.S.C.

ANNE C. HUGHES

MARY H. GALLAGHER

MARY E. BRODERICK

MADELEINE G. FLOUNDERS

HELEN M. BRADY

G. CLAUDE DEMITRAS, F.S.C.

ALFRED V. GRUNENWALD, F.S.C.

EDWARD PATRICK SHEEKEY, F.S.C.

1.William Coppola (19__ - 1980)

Bill Coppola became the groundskeeper of La Salle in 1968. A feature article about him in the Collegian of February 10, 1976, described a man who was totally committed to his career. In the northeast corner of the Student Union patio, on a rock near a black lamp pole, is a plaque (dated 1976), which thanks William and Alyce Coppola for their benefactions to La Salle

2. F. Vincent Grimes, F.S.C. (Brother Donatus Vincent) (1913 – 1981)

Brother Vincent was a pioneer. He was one of the first Christian Brothers to receive an advanced degree in psychology, and benefited La Salle with many levels of his expertise. He taught philosophy and especially psychology at the collegiate level (1945-1959 and 1965-1981), a total of 30 years. Brother Vincent did much to establish the roots of the Psychology Department, at a time when psychology and counseling were adjuncts of philosophy or religion at many other institutions. Although Mr. Charles Smith became the first director of La Salle’s Counseling Center around 1948, Brother Vincent energized the Center and became synonymous with its growth—and that of the Department—when he assumed the titles of “Director of Guidance” and “Director of Student Personnel” in subsequent years. When the School of Arts and Sciences was formally begun, Brother Vincent served as the founding Dean of this School for one year (1955-56), and then returned to regular teaching. The Brother Vincent Grimes Fund, named in Brother Vincent's honor, was established in 1979 to fund the Department’s annual lecture and reception. As a indication of his impact, longtime colleague and La Salle alumnus Dr. Warren E. Smith named one of his sons Vincent in honor of Brother Vincent.

3. Michael A. DeAngelis (19__ – 1981)

Known as “Iron Mike” by his early students, Mike DeAngelis was demanding and strong-willed, but always encouraging. His 34 years of instruction in accounting at La Salle (1947-1981) were highlighted in 1964 with his reception of the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching. Mike’s work with the Beta Alpha Accounting Honors Society and with the Accounting Society helped many accounting majors attain solid employment upon graduation. The Mike DeAngelis Memorial Scholarship Fund was established in1982, a year after his premature death.

4. Frank R. Engard (19__ - 1981)

Frank Engard came to La Salle around 1946 and became Assistant Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds under Donald Masser.

5. E. Louis Fernandez, F.S.C. (Brother Edelwald Louis) (1896 – 1981)

Spanish-born and Castilian-mannered, Brother Louis served as the first officially-mentioned librarian (1930-1939) in La Salle’s lengthy history. In those days, the Library was located on the main floor of College Hall, fronting the Quadrangle. Perhaps his two best-known trademarks were the caged canaries which serenaded the Library's patrons and his sobriquet of “Spanish Louie.” Brother Louis returned to La Salle (1942-1951 and 1956-1960) to teach Spanish. He retired (1970-1981) at La Salle, having spent a grand total of 33 years at 20th and Olney.

6. Joseph W. Scerni (19__ - 1981)

Very little is presently known about Joseph Scerni. He was a staff member of the Library who had begun his work at La Salle by the mid-1960s, working in the Acquisitions Department of the Library.

7. Mary M. Finsterbusch (1926 – 1982)

Mary Finsterbusch was the secretary (1958-1982) for what was formerly known as the Maintenance Department (now Physical Facilities Department).

8. C. Richard Cleary (19__ - 1982)

An outstanding member of the Political Science Department (1947 to approximately 1982), Cleary received the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1964. Cleary’s specialty was international relations.

9. Charles J. Fulforth (19__ - 1982)

A 1952 graduate of La Salle, Fulforth returned to his alma mater in 1963 to direct “Project 74,” the Library’s concerted campaign to double the volume of its book collection within six years. He was known to his colleagues as “the man with the photographic mind” because of the ease with which he could find virtually any item on the shelves. Fulforth moved on from La Salle in 1977. A year after his death, a framed reproduction of a 1600 map of London was displayed in his honor in the Wister Hall Annex Library on December 14, 1983. Today this map is seen on the main floor of the Connelly Library.

10. Edward J. Allgeier, F.S.C. (Brother Edward John) (1891 – 1983)

Few Lasallians have been doubly-blessed with longevity (both lifespan and years of service to La Salle) as was Brother Edward John. Brother John initially taught the younger commercial students at La Salle (1916-1919) when it was located at 1240 North Broad Street. He returned in 1926 to begin instructing the older commercial classes. When the high school moved to the new 20th and Olney campus in September 1929, he became its first official principal (1929-1930) and oversaw the transfer to the site; previously, the President of La Salle College had directed the preparatory students and their faculty. When the college moved to 20th and Olney in February 1930, the old building at “1240” lay vacant; it could not be sold as desired because of the Depression and was subject to taxation. From 1931 to 1935, it was transformed into the “Christian Brothers Commercial School,” targeting young men of high school age. Brother John served as the principal of this operation and no doubt taught there as needed. He came to 20th and Olney in 1935 to begin duties in the office of the College. He was initially referred to as “bookkeeper” by the records, but late was termed "bursar.” He remained as such until his retirement in the early 1970s. Brother John’s fidelity to his duties was honored with his reception of an honorary degree from La Salle in 1952. He left La Salle for nursing home care in 1979, and died nearly four years later at the age of 92. Combining his time at both “1240” and at 20th and Olney, Brother John gave over five decades of service to Philadelphia youth, and resided at either location for nearly 56 years. Many remember his interest in botany, best expressed by the artistic designs of leaves which he created. Arguably the most remarkable trivia about Brother John involved him and his siblings: of the eight Allgeier children, seven entered religious orders and lived full lives—three became Sisters of Notre Dame, three became De La Salle Christian Brothers, and one became a monsignor.

11. William J. Martin, F.S.C. (1929 – 1984)

Brother William became one of the few persons associated with La Salle University to attain a doctorate in sacred theology in 1964 from the prestigious Jesus Magister program of the Pontifical Lateran University in Rome He taught religion at La Salle (1965-1983), moderated Alpha Chi Rho fraternity, and received the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1979. Cancer cut short his career at the age of 55.

12. Austin J. App (1902 – 1984)

Milwaukee-born Austin J. App was a colorful character during his twenty years (1948-1968) of teaching English at La Salle. He was heard one day to remark to a tall student in class, “You should go out for the basketball team, young man!” (The addressee was Tom Gola.) Dr. App loved writing. He was chosen as the editor of La Salle’s Four Quarters magazine during its inaugural year (1951-1952). App wrote books about writing creatively, preparing for retirement, and other topics, and published a prolific number of book reviews and articles. After his 1968 retirement from La Salle, however, Dr. App began to write pamphlets (and also a lengthy autobiography) in which he espoused revisionist theories regarding the Holocaust. Unfortunately, he persisted in identifying himself as being a member of La Salle’s faculty when these appeared in print, an action which prompted La Salle to disassociate itself from App’s virulent opinions.

13. E. Russell Naughton (1916 – 1984)

E. Russell Naughton was a major figure in La Salle’s Philosophy Department (1950-1984). An editor (1954-1955) of Four Quarters magazine, he was named as the director of La Salle’s summer school in the late 1950s. He arranged special annual programs at La Salle in honor of St. Thomas Aquinas and brought scholars to campus for these events. Dr. Naughton received the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1965. He was chosen as the chairman of the ad hoc committee (1965-1966) that created the framework of what was then the new Faculty Senate.

14. Rev. John Bogacz (1916 - 1984)

A native of Poland and ordained a priest in 1945, Father Bogacz received his doctorate from the Pasteur Institute at the University of Paris in 1954. He taught biology (1957-1981) at La Salle.

15. James J. Devlin (19__ - 1984)

Little is presently known about Dr. Devlin, who taught English (1963-1974) at La Salle.

16. Roland Holroyd, A.F.S.C. ( 1896 - 1985)

Simply stated, Roland Holroyd was an icon. Born in Manchester, England, he journeyed to the U.S. as a youngster and eventually studied at the University of Pennsylvania. He joined La Salle’s faculty in 1920 (when La Salle College was still at 1240 North Broad Street) and was a part-time instructor for ten years. His ties with La Salle run deeper than many would think, because La Salle was already granting him an honorary degree in 1927. The College moved to 20th and Olney in 1930, the same year when Holroyd attained full-time teaching status. In 1936 he co-founded Alpha Epsilon fraternity for the most outstanding academic and service-minded students. On October 20, 1960, Dr. Holroyd delivered an address at the dedication of the new Science Center. In 1961, he and Dr. Joseph Flubacher were the first recipients at La Salle of the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching. He had two Explorer yearbooks dedicated to him—the 1963 (centennial of La Salle) issue and that of 1983. In 1966 he received the President’s Medal for distinguished service to La Salle. Hundreds of alumni fondly remember the dry wit and the black academic robe worn in the classroom by “The Good Doctor.” He remembered them, too—thanks to a three-by-five inch card file he kept in his office, with a card on every student he taught at La Salle. Dr. Holroyd’s fiftieth anniversary at La Salle, celebrated on January 11, 1970, produced two special events. On that day, the Science Building was renamed the “Roland Holroyd Science Center,” and also Dr. Holroyd received Letters of Affiliation (i.e. honorary membership) into the Brothers of the Christian Schools. When he retired in May 1973, the Collegian ran a special front-page salute to him with a photograph of this congenial man taking up three-fourths of the page. In 1982 he served as a resource person for a committee of his peers who designed the Faculty-Staff Memorial in Olney Hall and who developed criteria for inclusion. Although he was a devout Episcopalian, Dr. Holroyd was buried in the cemetery of the De La Salle Christian Brothers at Ammendale, MD.

17. Anne C. Hughes (19__ -1985)

For 28 years Anne Hughes worked as secretary for the Evening Division.

18. Mary H. Gallagher (1915 - 1985)

Arriving at La Salle in 1953, Mary Gallagher served as the secretary of Brother Gavin Paul, Vice President of Student Affairs. She retired on December 31, 1977.

19. Mary E. Broderick (1911 - 1980)

Every patron of La Salle’s library knew Mary Broderick. As Circulation Librarian, she seemingly had the last word on overdue fines and the enforcement of library procedures. Her occasionally gruff exterior masked a keen interest in helping the students and faculty of La Salle for 34 years (1946-1980).

20. Madeleine G. Flounders (1902 – 1985)

Madeleine Flounders served as the secretary of the Foreign Language and History Departments of La Salle (1965-1978).

21. Helen M. Brady (1917 – 1985)

Helen Brady taught mathematics at La Salle from 1969 to 1985.

22. G. Claude Demitras, F.S.C. (Brother Gregory Claude) (1929 – 1986)

A big man—with a big heart—described Brother Claude. He graduated from La Salle in 1953 and lived at La Salle briefly (1961-1963) while pursuing his doctoral degree at Penn. He completed the degree in 1965 and taught chemistry at La Salle College for eleven years (1965-1976). Brother Claude received the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1975 and authored several textbooks and laboratory manuals. He was given a year (1976-1977) for research and study at Cornell, but returned to La Salle and held the official title of Dean of the Evening Division and Summer Sessions (1977-1984). Another year of research at Penn followed in 1984-1985 while he resided with the Brothers at West Philadelphia Catholic High School for Boys, but Brother Claude resumed teaching at La Salle in 1985. His premature death followed just months later.

23. Alfred V. Grunenwald, F.S.C. (1926 – 1986)

Brother Alfred came to La Salle after directing libraries of various high schools conducted by the Christian Brothers. During his years at La Salle (1979-1986), he first did post-graduate work at Drexel University, then served in the reference department of the David Leo Lawrence Memorial Library, and in July 1980 became head of its circulation department. A heart attack abruptly ended his life.

24. Edward Patrick Sheekey, F.S.C. (Brother Edward Patrick) (1903 – 1986)

Brother Patrick is remembered mainly because of something he did for so long—and so well: teach writing. He came to La Salle in 1943 to teach English at the high school level, but moved into the English Department of La Salle College in January 1946. There he stayed (except for the 1953-1954 academic year) until his retirement in 1975. In 1981 La Salle named its Writing Center in Olney Hall after him, with a plaque honoring his 59 years of teaching writing (1919-1978). Brother Patrick continued to live in residence at the De La Salle Community until 1979, and returned for several more years (1980-1983). In 1982 he was a member of a committee to design the Faculty-Staff Memorial in Olney Hall and to develop criteria for inclusion. He received numerous awards, including the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching (1966) and the Benemerenti Papal Medal (1974). Brother Patrick served as editor of the Four Quarters magazine for many years and authored several high school texts and literature anthologies. One of the more frequently published poems by Brother Daniel Burke “The Writing Teacher” was inspired by the life of Brother Edward Patrick.