Column Four: Numbers 73 to 96
HUGH RAYMOND WILSON, F.S.C.
RONALD D. FISHER
PAUL R. DORAN
JAMES P. FOOTE
THOMAS J. LOWERY
E. JAMES CONAGHAN, F.S.C.
CHARLES V. KELLY
JOSEPH C. MIHALICH
JOSEPH J. SPRISSLER, A.F.S.C.
EDWARD J. DOMINESKE
RICHARD HAWLEY, F.S.C.
ORMOND P. MACORETTA
GILBERT JUDE SAPONE, F.S.C.
BERNARD B. GOLDNER
JOSEPH M. CARRIO
D. THOMAS GIMBORN, F.S.C.
ANTHONY WALLACE, F.S.C.
GREGORY PAUL SPRISSLER, F.S.C.
DAVID C. PENDERGAST, F.S.C.
JAMES J. HENRY
RICHARD E. LAUTZ
F. CHRISTOPHER BUSINSKY, F.S.C.
JOSEPH W. SIMMONS
1. Hugh Raymond Wilson, F.S.C. (Brother Giles Raymond) (1915 – 1986)
about half of his years at La Salle, Hugh Wilson was known as Brother Giles
Raymond, but after 1966 he took his name before becoming a brother and was known as Brother Hugh Wilson. Arriving at
La Salle in 1939, he taught chemistry at the high school level for
one year, then moved to the college level (1940-1944), but
reverted to teaching high school students for the next two years (1944-1946) because of
the exigencies of World War II. He returned, however, to the Chemistry
Department at the College (1946-1949 and 1953-1980) completing a grand total of
34 years of college instruction. Brother Hugh was a positive
influence as a residence hall advisor and as an avid follower of
Explorer sports teams.
2. Ronald D. Fisher (19__ - 1986)
Little is known about Ronald Fisher. He served as the Director of the Language Laboratory from the 1960s until approximately 1983.
3. Paul R. Doran (former Bro. G. Robert) (1920 – 1987)
R. Doran entered the Christian Brothers in 1935 and received the
religious name of Brother Gerard Robert. He taught English at La Salle
College High School during periods in the 1940s. Although he was
still active at La Salle High during the 1949-1950 school year, an
official questionnaire from La Salle College in his file indicates that
Brother Robert began teaching English at the college level
during 1949, and was definitely a member of the English Department for
the next six years (1950-1956). He was promoted as the Dean of the
School of Arts and Sciences (1956-1969), and helped guide La Salle from
the relatively placid 1950s through the tumultuous 1960s. After Brother
Robert left the Dean’s chair, he resumed teaching English at La Salle
College. He withdrew from the Christian Brothers in June 1971 and soon thereafter married
Catherine E. Gorman. He continued to be a member of La Salle’s English
Department until illness forced him to relinquish teaching duties
during spring 1987. Dr. Doran was considered an expert on the works of
Jonathan Swift. Mrs. Doran, who had received a La Salle degree in 1978,
was a part-time volunteer in La Salle’s Art Museum for fifteen years
before her own sudden death in 1994 as she was returning from China. In
1995 La Salle was named the beneficiary of $400,000 from the estate of
Mrs. Doran. The gift was used to establish an endowment for scholarship
aid and assistance to students majoring in English.
4. James P. Foote (1932 – 1987)
Foote taught English and drama (1972-1987) and directed various plays
presented by the Masque and by the La Salle Summer Music Theater. He
wrote several plays himself during his career and acted in plays ranging from farces to Shakespearian tragedies in summer stock theater.
5. Thomas J. Lowery ( 1922 - 1987)
Dr. Thomas Lowery taught biology at La Salle for twenty-five years (1962-1987).
6. E. James Conaghan, F.S.C. (1904 – 1987)
tribute to his leadership skills in other Lasallian schools, Brother
James received an honorary degree from La Salle College in 1939. Many
more connections with La Salle, however, arose during his twilight
years. He became the Director of the Christian Brothers’ community at
La Salle, and after just one year (1953-1954) was selected as the
Provincial of the Baltimore Province of the Christian Brothers. As
Provincial (1954-1960), he oversaw the apostolate of each brother and
also the activities of each teaching establishment conducted by the
Brothers in the Baltimore Province. After this post, Brother James returned
to La Salle College as its Assistant Treasurer (1960-1962). From around
1962 until his official retirement in 1974, he held the title of
“College Representative, Special Affairs” in which he served as La
Salle’s cheerful ambassador for its Centennial (1863-1963) and other
projects. Brother James also taught theology classes in the mid-1960s.
After 1974 and up to his final months, he volunteered in various
capacities on the campus, notably in the roster office. At the Second
Regional Convocation of the Christian Brothers in California in 1990,
Brother James was named one of the three specially-selected Brothers of the
Baltimore Province to represent the very best of the Brothers’ rich
7. Charles V. Kelly (1915 - 1988)
Kelly was a member of a prominent Philadelphia family; he counted
Princess Grace and John B., Jr., as first cousins. Mr. Kelly, however,
made his own impact on his native city by teaching English at La Salle
(1947-1951 and 1953-1988) with considerable aplomb. He received the
Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1962. He served a chairman
of the Governance Committee, which organized the Faculty Senate on the
campus and later served as its president. Mr. Kelly also served as
editor of Four Quarters magazine. When he retired from full-time teaching in 1985, a student lounge near the English Department
offices in Olney Hall (Olney124) was named in his honor.
8. Joseph C. Mihalich (1926 -- 1988)
Joseph Mihalich combined a keen interest in sports with philosophy, and
the results benefited La Salle for three decades. As a young man he
had been a pitcher in the New York Yankees farm system; his roommate
was Whitey Ford. He joined La Salle’s faculty in 1946, was a longtime
member and chair of the Athletic Committee, and was La Salle’s delegate
to the NCAA. Dr. Mihalich received the Lindback Award for Distinguished
Teaching in 1964. He authored Sports and Athletics: Philosophy in Action, reflecting his two fields of expertise.
9. Joseph J. Sprissler, A.F.S.C. (1909 -1988)
For four decades, Joseph Sprissler proved himself an indispensable man
at La Salle College. He joined the faculty in 1932 and during the first
several years taught what the catalogs officially termed “Business
English and Industrial Geography.” This course changed into an accounting
course, and one year (1941-1942) he combined teaching this subject
with being the Director of Students’ Employment Bureau. Although La
Salle had organizations for dramatics—under various names—before 1934,
Sprissler was one of the founders of a student group which unofficially
called itself The Masque, and he directed their first play in December
of that year (the name "Masque" would became official in 1935). In 1936 he
co-founded Alpha Epsilon fraternity for students with outstanding
academic and service credentials. Around 1942 he obtained employment
elsewhere during the war years. With La Salle’s burgeoning postwar
enrollment, however, Sprissler returned to La Salle as the Comptroller
in 1946. That same year, he founded and guided the Evening Division of
La Salle and became its first director, until his own sibling (Brother
Gregorian Paul) succeeded him in 1953. A grateful La Salle recognized
Sprissler with an honorary degree in commercial science in 1952. His
title of Comptroller, meanwhile, evolved into “Business Manager.” In
1958 his realm of responsibility was considered at the
vice-presidential level of administration so La Salle officially
designated Sprissler as Vice-President of Business Affairs in 1960, and
he retained this title until his official retirement in 1976. A
particularly salient honor was given in 1964 when Sprissler was granted
Letters of Affiliation by the Christian Brothers; he thus became the
first lay colleague of La Salle to become an honorary member of the
10. Edward J. Domineske (1927 – 1988)
Following a stint in the Navy, law school, and a brief legal career, Edward Domineske came to La Salle in 1960, where he taught business law
for nearly 30 years. Recognized as an outstanding teacher, he received the
Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1974. During his career he was the pre-law advisor and moderator of Delta Sigma Pi business fraternity.
11. Richard Hawley, F.S.C. (1928 – 1988)
Richard taught biology (1966-1988) at La Salle and was honored in 1976
with the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching. For four years
(1968-1972), he was the part-time director of the College’s
Audio-Visual Department. Brother Richard also served as moderator of
the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity and became the posthumous winner of
the annual Holroyd Award in 1989.
12. Ormond P. Macoretta (1925 – 1989)
Born and raised in Canada, Mr. Macoretta taught philosophy at La Salle (1962-1986).
13. Gilbert Jude Sapone, F.S.C. (1916 – 1989)
Jude was synonymous with the teaching of the classics for 29 years
at La Salle:1951-1960 and 1966-1986. (During the fall semester of the 1951-1952 academic
year, he resided and taught at the Christian Brothers
Scholasticate in Elkins Park.) He was the author of Inscriptions Illustrative of Roman Private Life (published 1954); it dealt with epigraphy, the study of Latin inscriptions on stone or metal.
14. Bernard B. Goldner (1919 - 1990)
An internationally-recognized expert on creative thinking, Dr. Goldner
served La Salle for four decades (1949-1989). Throughout that time he
taught “industry,” a course which became management in the
early 1970s. Throughout his career, he lectured on management and creative problem solving in
the U.S., U.K., Canada, Israel, and Japan, authored The Strategy of Creative Thinking (1962),
and held two patents. He was the first director (1981-1989) of La
Salle’s Small Business Development Center, which provided free
comprehensive management assistance and services to hopeful
entrepreneurs in the Philadelphia area. In 1977, in the wake of gag
gifts such as pet rocks, Dr. Goldner manufactured boxes of “The
Emperor’s New Clothes” (i.e. invisible clothes on a four-inch plastic
hanger with dust cover) and marketed them nationally for $4. He even
mailed them to President Jimmy Carter, to his cabinet members, and to
all 100 U.S. Senators; several officials wrote to Dr. Goldner to thank
him for the gift.
15. Joseph M. Carrio (1907 – 1990)
Mr. Carrio was a native of Cuba and taught Spanish at La Salle from 1946 to 1972.
16. D. Thomas Gimborn, F.S.C. (Brother Didacus Thomas) (1905 – 1990)
longevity at La Salle, and for the sheer variety of courses taught, the
record-holder might be Brother Didacus Thomas Gimborn. His years of
active collegiate instruction (1935-1957 and 1958-1972, a total of
36 years) initially involved philosophy and the classics.
Brother Thomas was one of the few Christian Brothers in the entire
Institute who earned the conferral of all five certificates of the
“Cours Superieur” in Sacred Doctrine (i.e. the professional theological
training of the Brothers). The late 1930s and early 1940s, however,
found him teaching mainly German. During the next decade or so his
teaching centered principally in the classics, but for most of the
1950s until his retirement, Brother Thomas taught religion.
He was affectionately known to his colleagues as “Doc Tom.” He served
as chair of the Philadelphia region of Teachers of College Theology and
was a charter member of the College Teachers of Theology Society.
Brother Thomas lived in retirement at La Salle until March 1990, for a
grand total of nearly 54 years at 20th and Olney.
17. Anthony Wallace, F.S.C. (1910 – 1990)
Anthony’s voluminous contributions to education transcended La
Salle…and even the Christian Brothers. His name became nationally-known
in pedagogy, especially in Catholic circles. Brother Anthony taught
English at La Salle (1938-1943) and, several assignments—including two
principalships—later, he returned to teach in the Education Department
(1962-1964). In 1964 he was released to serve with the National
Catholic Educational Association at its headquarters in Washington, D.C.and to provide assistance to secondary schools around the country
regarding accreditation and evaluation. Over 500 high schools in the
United States benefited from their contact with Brother Anthony during
this time, regarding self-evaluation and accreditation, either by
personal contact or through conferences at a diocesan level. While a
member of the Criteria Committee of the NCEA, he held workshops
for administrators at scores of institutions. Brother
Anthony edited Criteria for the Evaluation of Catholic Elementary Schools,
a landmark study which was published in 1965. He rose through the ranks
to become Executive Secretary of the Secondary School Department of the
NCEA (1967-1971), and received its Merit Award from this body in 1971.
A year later, the National Association of Secondary School Principals
similarly recognized Brother Anthony’s dedication in a public way. He
returned to La Salle to teach in the Education Department in 1971 and
retired in 1977.
18. Gregory Paul Sprissler, F.S.C. (Brother Gregory Paul) (1907 – 1990)
a mind “designed like a jeweler’s scale,” Brother Gregorian Paul
brought a methodical mindset to whatever post or task he embraced. He
taught chemistry at the college level of La Salle (1933-1937
and 1941-1952). During part of his 1941-1952 period, he simultaneously
served as Dean of the College (1944-1945) until an unexpected occurrence came
in November 1945. Brother Dominic Luke suddenly stepped down from La
Salle’s presidency because of health concerns. Brother Paul was summoned
from a chemistry laboratory and told to prepare for a new position in a
few days. As President of La Salle (1945-1952), he capably dealt with
the resurging postwar enrollment under the G.I. Bill. Spatial shortages
were met by adding Leonard Hall, Benilde Hall, rooms beneath McCarthy
Stadium, and the first two residence halls. He reveled in on-site
inspections of building projects, such as a new library. La Salle
converted its evening offerings into a degree-granting curriculum in
1946, with Brother Paul’s sibling, Mr. Joseph Sprissler, serving as the
first Director of the Evening Division. La Salle introduced its first
Master’s degree program (religion) and added R.O.T.C. to the curriculum
with his encouragement in 1950. (Brother Dominic Luke’s departure
simultaneously ushered Brother Paul into the role of Director of the
Brothers’ Community at La Salle, which he held until 1947.) After a
brief assignment in Baltimore, he returned to La Salle to inherit his
brother’s post; Brother Paul was the Dean of the Evening Division
(1953-1961) and led it into renewed expansion and energy. He went back
to teaching chemistry (1961-1972), and around 1966 he changed his name
from Brother Gregorian Paul to Brother Gregory Paul. In 1970 his
talents were tapped for the new—and lengthy—title of Coordinator of
Physical Development and Planning. A deserved full retirement came in
1977, and Brother Paul continued living at La Salle until March 1990.
Awards included honorary degrees from Villanova (1947) and from La Salle
(1981), the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching in 1967, and the
Holroyd Award in 1990 for service to the heath professions. In 1982 he
chaired a committee of his peers who designed the Faculty-Staff
Memorial in Olney Hall and developed criteria for inclusion.
19. David C. Pendergast, F.S.C. (1915 – 1990)
David began his collegiate apostolate as La Salle’s Director of Public
Relations (1953-1955). When the College divided its curriculum into two
main schools in 1955, he became the first Dean of the School of
Business Administration (1955-1969), updating La Salle’s offerings from
postwar realities and keeping pace with the modern and changing times.
After his deanship, Brother David became a “programmer analyst” in La
Salle’s Computer Center, where he handled student class schedules,
registration, and data processing, until his retirement in 1986. He
continued to live at La Salle until a few days before his death.
20. James J. Henry (1906 - 1990)
Jim Henry was a Director of Athletics, but not the first; several
others carried that title before him. Ironically, his name emerges in
La Salle’s history in ways that most Explorer fans would not expect.
First, he starred in football and basketball during the 1929-1930
season…for rival Villanova. Second, he was the first varsity basketball
coach of La Salle College (1930-1931 season), posting an impressive
winning record. Third, Jim was an accomplished teacher at a young age.
His starting year as a faculty member is not currently known, but he
was teaching economics at La Salle as early as Fall 1931; an article in
the April 22, 1932 Collegian referred to him as the head of
the Economics Department. He moved into teaching finance in
1934 and continued in the classroom until about 1971. Fourth,
he was coaching both football and basketball for La Salle High School
in the 1931-1932 school year. Because of his positive influence in the
high school, he was chosen to be the line coach for the College
football program in 1933. When a new Athletic Director was needed by
the mid-1930s, Jim Henry was given the post in 1935. While retaining
his athletic directorship, he was the last football coach (1940 and
1941 seasons) before La Salle was compelled to drop football because of
World War II. La Salle confirmed his athletic and classroom prowess by
conferring an honorary degree on him in 1955. In the same year, Jim helped
make history with the formation of Philadelphia’s legendary Big Five
collegiate basketball competition. Jim proudly watched La Salle receive
national acclaim with its championship basketball teams and Dad Vail
victories of the 1950s, and various Olympic heroes each decade. La Salle
granted him membership in its Hall of Athletes in 1976, and he was
elected to the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame. He served as an
official at many collegiate football games over twenty-five years,
including some bowl games and the Army-Navy game. Because Jim served as
the chair of the board of the prestigious Maxwell Football Club, the
club annually presents its Jim Henry Award to the Philadelphia area’s
top high school player. He retired from the Athletic Director position
on December 31, 1968—after nearly 34 years of service in this position.
21. Richard E. Lautz (1935 - 1991)
Dr. Lautz became a member of La Salle’s English Department in 1968, and
after only seven years at La Salle was honored with the Lindback Award
for Distinguished Teaching in 1975. For two decades he was advisor to
La Salle’s undergraduate literary magazine, Grimoire, and was a longtime poetry editor of Four Quarters,
La Salle’s professional literary magazine. In 1990 he donated his
several hundred volume collection of contemporary American poetry,
nearly all first editions and many inscribed to Richard, to form the
Lautz Special Collection in the Library. He was an especially popular teacher in the Honors
Program with his “The City in Literature” upper-level seminar. A
sketched portrait of Dr. Lautz appropriately appeared on the cover of
the Spring 1991 issue of Grimoire.
22. Walter Kaiser (1922 - 1991)
With his La Salle education interrupted by serving in the Armed Forces
during World War II, Walter Kaiser completed his course work and was
hired by La Salle in 1947. For over four decades, he was a member of
the Accounting Department (1947-1989). He also became a certified public
accountant and managed his own firm.
23. F. Christopher Businsky, F.S.C. (Brother F. Christopher) (1908 – 1991)
Christopher skillfully handled his various La Salle posts. He taught at
the high school level (1935-1937 and 1944-1945), but moved into
the collegiate level (1943-44 and 1945-1951) as an instructor of biology.
During this time he helped to landscape the property by planting pin
oaks along the street-side frontage of College Hall. He was the
co-founder, charter member, and advisor of Alpha Epsilon Delta
(1950-1966). Because of Brother Stanislaus’ studies in Rome, Brother
Christopher was named as Acting Dean of the College in 1951 and
simultaneously began his longtime direction (1951-1972) of the office
of admissions. This deanship became official when Brother Stanislaus
became the new president the following year. In 1954, the “Dean of the
College” position was divided into both academic responsibilities,retained by Brother Christopher who was simply the“Dean,” and student affairs, assumed by Brother Daniel Bernian, Vice President for Student Affairs.
In 1955, the Explorer yearbook was dedicated to Brother
Christopher, and he relinquished the deanship to another Christian
Brother. Then Brother Christopher subsequently concentrated his full
attention as the Director of Admissions in the Day Division. He also
served as admissions director for La Salle’s Evening Division
(1955-1965). After stepping down from being fully in charge of the
admissions area in 1972, Brother Christopher continued with the title
of Coordinator for Transfer Admissions (1972-1981) and became the
Coordinator for Foreign Admissions until his 1983 retirement. He
continued to live at La Salle thereafter. In 1982 he was a member of a
committee which designed the Faculty-Alumni Memorial in Olney Hall and
developed criteria for inclusion. In 1984 he received the Holroyd Award
for distinguished service to alumni in the health professions. Brother
Christopher’s death ended nearly 39 years of active service to
La Salle College and nearly a half-century of living at 20th and Olney.
24. Joseph W. Simmons (1933 - 1991)
Mr. Simmons taught physics at La Salle from 1958-1990.