La Salle University offers an award winning, innovative, and combined program in early elementary and special education that is approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and leads to an Instructional I certification in early elementary education (PreK–4) and special education (PreK–8).
- Small class size and individualized attention by faculty
- Award winning elementary and special education program
- A subject area major
- Field experiences beginning in the freshman year
- Integrated course work in the junior year with practical experience in area schools with which La Salle has a unique partnership
- One full semester of student teaching, and one full semester of a special education practicum in a special education or inclusion classroom
Students enrolled in the ESEC program also major in American Studies(AMST). The American Studies major views American culture through the perspectives of three interdisciplinary courses as well as through courses in American history, literature, philosophy, religion, and fine arts.