<< back to Faculty Listing
Diana P. F. Montague, Ph.D.
Director, Emotion Development Project
Associate Professor of Psychology
Office: Wister Hall 219
B.A., Psychology, Rider College; M.S., Ph.D., Interdisciplinary Developmental/Social Psychology, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey; Postdoctoral Fellowship, Center for Studies of Ethnicity and Human Development, Long Island University.
- Emotion development across the life span (infancy through late adulthood)
- Dynamic expression of emotion
- Infants' perception of emotion
- Emotion and psychotherapy
- Special needs (autism, Tourette syndrome, AD/HD, sensory processing deficits, learning disabilities)
- Intergenerational relationships
- Cultural diversity
Opportunities for student research involvement:
I lead an emotion research group to develop research ideas and support the implementation of various studies in human development. I welcome involvement from both undergraduate and graduate students in all phases of research, including study design, data collection and analyses, and presentation/publication of results. Interested individuals are encouraged to contact me at email@example.com to discuss possibilities for collaboration.
- Montague, D, P. F, Magai, C., & Consedine, N. S. (2003). Attachment in African
American and European American older adults: The roles of early life
socialization and religiosity. Attachment and Human Development, 5(2),
- Montague, D.P.F., & Walker-Andrews,
A.S. (2002). Mothers, fathers, and infants: The role of person familiarity
and parental involvement in infants' perception of emotion expressions. Child
Development, 73, 1339-1352.
- Montague, D.P.F., & Walker-Andrews, A.S. (2001). Peekaboo: A new look at infants'
perception of emotion expressions. Developmental Psychology, 37,
- Montague, D. P. F., & Walker-Andrews, A. S. (1999). Modeling emotional facial/vocal expressions: A stimulus training tape [Motion picture]. (Available from Diana Montague, PhD., La Salle University, Psychology Department, 1900 West Olney Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19141).
In the News:
- "Life of brain," Discover, Special Issue: The Brain, An Owner's Manual. Spring 2007, pp. 4-8.
- "All you need is some duct tape" The Times of Trenton, October 18, 2005.
- "Reading your baby's mind" Newsweek, August 15, 2005, cover story, p. 32-39.
- "First feelings" Child, January 2004, p. 78.
- "Faculty and students team up for rewarding research." La Salle University Keynotes newsletter, Spring 2004, cover story, p. 1.
- "Goo, gaa, grr?" APA Monitor on Psychology, March 2003, cover story, p. 50-51.
- International Society for Research on Emotion (ISRE); (Membership Secretary)
- Association for Psychological Science (APS)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Society for Research in Child Development (SRCD)
Courses taught at La Salle University:
- PSY 210 Developmental Psychology
- PSY 444 Independent Research
- PSY 445 Research in Emotion
- PSY 504 Human Behavior: A Developmental Perspective
- PSY 607 Graduate Research I
- PSY 677 Graduate Research II
- PSY 708 Human Behavior I: Developmental Bases (doctoral)
- PSY 771 Research Methodology (doctoral)
- INST272 Search for Identity in Emerging Adulthood