Brother John M. Crawford, F.S.C, Ph.D.
Office:McShain Hall 209
Brother John M. Crawford, F.S.C., Ph.D., a native of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, has been a member of the Brothers of the Christian Schools since 1974. After graduating with a B.A.in English-Education from La Salle, Brother John spent 22 years as a high school teacher and administrator, teaching religion and English, serving as an academic vice-principal, a director of education at a day treatment center for court-adjudicated young people, and a high school principal. In addition, Brother John spent two years as the Director of Jeremy House in Philadelphia, which is a community for the initial formation of young men interested in joining the Brothers.
Brother John pursued doctoral studies in religion and education at Boston College, culminating in his doctoral dissertation: “Extending Lasallian Charism: Its Texts and Lived Contexts for the Spirituality of Teachers.” That research has been the catalyst for his on-going work of researching, writing and teaching about how the foundational insights of Saint John Baptist de La Salle might still resonate and prove effective in educational settings today. Brother John joined the La Salle faculty in January 2008.
Areas of Expertise
- Religious education
- Lasallian studies
- Christian spirituality
- Ph.D.–Religion and Education, Boston College
- M.Ed.–Educational Administration, Boston College–Catholic School Leadership Program
- M.A.–Religious Education, La Salle University
- B.A.–English-Education, La Salle University
- REL 150 Exploring Christianity
- REL 153 Exploring Religion
- REL 210 The Hebrew Bible/Old Testament
- REL 243 Religion and Contemporary Literature
- REL 324 La Salle and His Legacy
- RLE 710 Religious Imagination and Models of Religious Education
- RLE 711 Leadership in Religious Education
- THD 700 The Lasallian Tradition
“Lasallian Charism, Higher Education, and Women” Presented at the First Annual Symposium on Lasallian Research, St. Mary’s University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, October 2012
“We Are What We Teach: Lasallian Pedagogy” A paper prepared and used by S.I.E.L. (The International Lasallian Studies Session, 2012-2013, The Generalate of the Brothers of the Christian Schools, Rome Italy), publication pending