Cesar Ruiz, SLP.D., CCC-SLP, BRS-S
Associate Professor of Communication Sciences and Disorders
St. Benilde Tower 2213
Cesar Ruiz, SLP.D., CCC/SLP., BRS-S is a board-recognized specialist in swallowing and swallowing disorders. Dr. Ruiz joined the Speech-Language Hearing Science Program at La Salle in 2002. His clinical appointments include the Philadelphia VA Hospital, the Ear Nose Throat Association of Chester County (ENTACC), and the University clinic. He has presented nationally and internationally.
Areas of Expertise
- Voice disorders
- Swallowing disorders
- Head and neck cancer rehabilitation
- SLP.D.(Doctor of Speech-Language Pathology), Nova Southeastern University, 2006
- M.A. in Communication Disorders, Saint Louis University, 1988
- B.S. in Speech Pathology, Saint Louis University, 1986
- Board Recognized Specialist in Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders, Dec. 2010
- Certified in Conflict Mediation. La Salle University, Aug. 2007
- Certified in McNeil Dysphagia Treatment. Ciao. Charlotte, NC, Jan. 2008
- Certified in VitalStim Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation, Nov. 2003
- Certificate of Clinical Competence from the American Speech Language Hearing Association. Rockville, MD, Nov. 1988
- Missouri State Life Teaching Certificate. Springfield, MO, June 1987
- SLH 200:Phonetics
- SLH 200WB: Phonetics
- SLH 409: Multicultural Issues in Communication Disorders
- SLH 515:Voice Disorders
- SLH 516: Clinical Practicum
- SLH 520: Dysphagia
- SLH 527: Motor Speech Disorders
- SLH 537: Communication Disorders in the Geriatric Population
- SLH 616: Advanced Clinical Practicum
- SLH 622: Technological Issues in Speech-Language Pathology
- SPN 171X: Spanish for Speech-Language Pathologists
- SLH 635: Integrative Capstone in Communication Disorders
Ghosh, A., Guss, J., Ruiz, C. E., Quon, H, Weinstein, G. S., Mirza, N. (2011). Injection augmentation of arytenoids after partial laryngectomy: Case series. The Journal of Laryngology & Otology. 125, 65–69. DOI: 10.1017/S002221511000160X.
Mirza, N., Ruiz, C., & Kendall, K. (2010). Laryngeal Inflammation. In Kendall, K., & Leonard, R., (Eds), Laryngeal Evaluation: Indirect Laryngoscopy to High-Speed Digital Imaging (pp. 200-210). New York, NY: Thieme Medical Publisher.
Ruiz, C., & Klein, E. (Eds), (2009). Speech-Language-Hearing Science Clinical Practicum Manual. School of Nursing & Health Sciences. Speech-Language-Hearing Science Programs. La Salle University. Philadelphia, PA.
Malaisrie, N., Prendes, B., Ruiz, C., Campe, L., Webner, D., & Mirza, N. (2009). Sports related dyspnea in female athletes: Diagnosis and management. Triological Society Eastern Section Program. Boston, MA.
Lipinski, P & Ruiz, C. (2012). The use of Neckline Slimmer™ to improve swallowing muscles. Poster Presentation. La Salle University. Student Research Program. Philadelphia, PA. May 1, 2012.
Ruiz, C. (2012). Voice Disorders in School Settings. School District of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, PA. September 5, 2012. [Invited]
Ruiz, C. (February, 2012). Swallowing issues: evaluation and treatment. Seminar. School of Nursing. University of Pennsylvania. [Invited speaker]
Ruiz, C. (2012). Motor Speech Disorders in School Settings. Burlington County Special Services School District. Westampton, NJ. January 13, 2012. [Invited]
Coyle, J., Ruiz, C., Kizner, J., Alawami, N., & Scarborough, D. (2011). Delivering expert dysphagia care: Recent BRS-S clinicians tell all. 2 hour Seminar. American Speech-Language Hearing Association. San Diego, CA. November 18, 2011.
Ruiz, C. (2011). Could the Neckline Slimmer strengthen swallowing muscles? Poster. American Speech-Language Hearing Association Annual Convention, San Diego, CA. November 19, 2011.
Ruiz, C. (March, 2011). Swallowing issues: evaluation and treatment. Seminar. School of Nursing. University of Pennsylvania. [Invited speaker]
Ruiz, C. (2011). Voice Disorders in School Settings. Burlington County Special Services School District. Westampton, NJ. January 13, 2011. [Invited]
Ruiz, C. (October, 2010). Swallowing issues: evaluation and treatment. Nutrition Program. La Salle University. [Invited speaker]
Bergin, C., Ruiz, C., Heese, J., Gould, R. & Arnold, R. (2010). Prime Time FEES: Building Success From Basics to Finesse. Panel Presentation. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Annual Convention. Philadelphia, PA. November 19, 2010. [Invited]
Ruiz, C., Bergin, C., Heese, J., Gould, R. & Boyd, M. (2009). Dysphagia Management with FEES: A Case-Based Approach. Panel Presentation. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Annual Convention. New Orleans, LA. November 21, 2009.
Carr, R., & Ruiz, C. (2009). Language assessment of Spanish/English bilingual children: A comprehensive search for evidence based practice. Independent Student Undergraduate Research. La Salle University.
Ruiz, C. (2009). Supracricoid partial laryngectomy. Voice-Swallowing-Airway Conference. Singer Island, FL. April 24, 2009. [Invited speaker]
Ruiz, C. (2009). Swallowing issues: evaluation and treatment. School of Nursing. University of Pennsylvania. February 17, 2009. [Invited speaker]
Ruiz, C. (2009). Dysphagia in School Settings. Burlington County Special Services School District. Mt. Holly, NJ. January 15, 2009. [Invited speaker]