Continuation for majors in the Department of Social Work requires that a student receive a minimum course grade of C in all social work courses. Failure to receive a C or higher means that the student must repeat the course. A student may take a course up to three times.
A student can request an exception to this policy in writing, addressed to the program director of the program in which the student is enrolled. A department faculty member can provide written material to support a policy exception for a student. In the case of sequential or prerequisite courses, each departmental program will have discretion regarding the application of this policy as it pertains to student progression in the major.
In order to continue as a student in the Social Work Program, the student must also meet the following criteria:
- Obtain an overall GPA of 2.40 by the completion of SWK 341 and SWK 381. If the student has not obtained an overall GPA of 2.40 by the completion of SWK 341 and SWK 381, the following options are available:
- The student can be placed on probationary status for one semester.
- The student may withdraw from the Social Work Program.
- Obtain an overall GPA of 2.50 by the completion of the undergraduate coursework. That is, in order to graduate with a BSW degree from La Salle University’s Social Work Program, the student is required to have an overall GPA of 2.50 at the time of graduation. If the student’s overall GPA at the time of graduation falls below the 2.50 GPA requirement, the student will be notified by the Program in writing and will have the opportunity to exercise one of the following two options:
- The student can continue to take courses in consultation with the Program until he/she meets the GPA requirement for graduation with a BSW degree.
- The student can withdraw from the Social Work Program, and review his/her academic alternatives in consultation with the School of Arts and Sciences.
- Exception to the above may be made on an individual basis by the full time Social Work faculty.
- The student must request an exception in writing.
- The student is responsible for stating his/her case.
It is the responsibility of the student to notify the Program in writing of his/her decision regarding the action plan for continuation in or dismissal from the Program.