- To develop competent social work professionals grounded in knowledge, values, and skills necessary for entry-level generalist practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities primarily within the urban community.
- To prepare students for social work practice with diverse populations.
- To prepare students for social work practice with vulnerable populations and to orient students to local, national, and international issues of social and economic justice so that they are empowered to be agents of change.
- To provide a curriculum that challenges students to integrate and act upon the values and ethics of the social work profession.
- To motivate students to know the importance of and exhibit a commitment to the ongoing development and care of the personal and professional self.
- To prepare students for graduate studies in social work.