Sexual Misconduct: Unwanted Sexual Behavior
Complaints of Harassment
Addressing and Resolving Complaints
of Sexual Harassment
The University takes all complaints of harassment seriously. In the
event that a member of the University community observes or is the victim of discrimination and/or harassment, the individual can take one or more of the following steps:
- Gather evidence of the harassment. Keep written accounts of everything that the harasser said or did so you have documentation. Tell others what is happening.
- Tell the harasser politely but firmly that his/her conduct is not welcome and must stop.
- If the conduct persists, or if the harassed person is afraid for any reason to confront the harasser, or the harassed person believes that she/he has been or will be retaliated against by the harasser, the individual has a choice to bring the problem to any of the following individuals: **
To make a complaint involving a student, contact:
Vice President for Student Affairs: 215.951.1017
Senior Associate Dean of Students: 215.951.1916
Director of Community Standards: 215.951.1530
As long as there is no immediate danger to yourself or others, the University official will present the following choices:
- You can request that the above University administrators have an informal conversation with the allege harasser. This can be combined with a "no contact" letter sent to the alleged harasser from the University official and/or combined with other appropriate interim measures in order to avoid further harassment.
- Complete and forward a written statement describing the alleged harassment to the above administrators.
- You can ask to have a report filed with the Philadelphia Police (in addition to the University charge).
- • Security and Safety staff or Community Development staff may respond by gathering additional information, confronting the harasser, and/or providing accommodation for your well-being and safety.
- An investigation and, if warranted, disciplinary action will proceed in accordance with all relevant University procedures.
- While the University encourages students to report all incidents of sexual harassment, you have the right to not report any such violation.
For complaints involving faculty or staff, contact:
AVP of Human Resources: 215.951.1444
- You can submit a complaint pursuant to the grievance procedure set forth in the University’s EEO and Anti- Harassment Policy (if the harasser is an employee, faculty member, or third party). In these cases, Human Resources can provide consultation.
- The AVP of Human Resources will immediately investigate any such allegations of sexual harassment in as confidential a manner as is reasonably possible.
- The alleged harasser will be given an opportunity to respond to the allegations but ordered not to confront or retaliate against the complaining person concerning the allegations. Neutral witnesses will be questioned when possible. All participants in the investigation will be instructed to keep the matter strictly confidential.
- Retaliation in any form against a complainant who has exercised his or her right to make a complaint under this policy is strictly prohibited, even if the investigation concludes that no sexual harassment has occurred.
"So often, we believe that we have come to a place that is void of hope and void of possibilities, only to find that it is the very hopelessness that allows us to hit bottom, give up our illusion of control, turn it over, and ask for help. Out of the ashes of our hopelessness comes the fire of our hope."
- Anne Wilson Shaef, PhD.