Sexual Misconduct: Unwanted Sexual Behavior
Know the Facts
- Every two minutes, someone in the U.S. is sexually assaulted.
- 89 percent of victims are under the age of 30. 1
- In 2010, there were 188,380 reported victims of rape/sexual assault. 2
- In 2010, 91.85 percent of rape or sexual assault victims were female; 8.15 percent were male. 2
- Of female rape or sexual assault victims in 2010, 48 percent were assaulted by friends or acquaintances and 17 percent by intimate partners. 2
- 54 percent of sexual assaults are not reported to the police. 1
- 22% of college women report having been forced to engage in sexual intercourse on a date. One study showed that 11% of college men surveyed acknowledged using physical restraint to gain sexual advantage over a woman.
- More than 80% of sexual assaults are committed by someone the victim knows.
- Men also report being placed in situations in which they were subjected to unwanted sex. The chance of being a victim of sexual assault for men is 1 in 7.
- Females between the ages of 12 and 18 have 4 times the risk of being sexually assaulted.
- In cases of acquaintance rape, 75% of men and 55% of women had been drinking or taking drugs prior to the attack.
- Date rape drugs such as Rohypnol and GHB are colorless, odorless substances that can easily be slipped into someone’s drink and can cause disorientation, unconsciousness, memory loss, and death, particularly when mixed with alcohol.
(Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network Web site, 2012)
- U.S. Department of Justice,
National Crime Victimization Surveys 2006–2010
"The phoenix hope, can wing her way through the desert skies, and still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise."
- Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Author