Sexual Misconduct: Unwanted Sexual Behavior
Know the Facts
- 22% of college women report having been forced to engage in sexual intercourse on a date. One study showed that 11% of college men surveyed acknowledged using physical restraint to gain sexual advantage over a woman.
- More than 80% of sexual assaults are committed by someone the victim knows.
- Men also report being placed in situations in which they were subjected to unwanted sex. The chance of being a victim of sexual assault for men is 1 in 7.
- Females between the ages of 12 and 18 have 4 times the risk of being sexually assaulted.
- In cases of acquaintance rape, 75% of men and 55% of women had been drinking or taking drugs prior to the attack.
- Date rape drugs such as Rohypnol and GHB are colorless, odorless substances that can easily be slipped into someone’s drink and can cause disorientation, unconsciousness, memory loss, and death, particularly when mixed with alcohol.
For sources or more information, contact the Student Counseling Center at
"So often, we believe that we have come to a place that is void of hope and void of possibilities, only to find that it is the very hopelessness that allows us to hit bottom, give up our illusion of control, turn it over, and ask for help. Out of the ashes of our hopelessness comes the fire of our hope."
- Anne Wilson Shaef, PhD.