Skip to Main Content

Keeping our campus healthy and safe

More Info »
X

La Salle News

April 10, 2012

“Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble”: La Salle University’s Theatre Troupe, the Masque, to present Macbeth

“Double double, toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble.” These famous words will be recited in the next Masque production, Shakespeare’s Macbeth, running April 13, 14, 15, 19, 20 and 21. It has been 11 years since the La Salle University student theatre troupe has performed a Shakespearean play.

Mary Kathleen Gillespie, producer and president of the Masque, says she and the troupe’s Executive Board were looking to stage a drama, as it has been performing comedies for the past few years. When Macbeth was suggested, it was a unanimous choice.

Gillespie, a senior American Studies major, oversees all aspects of the production and also helps out with the tech side, such as painting sets.

She says director Tom Reing, who has worked with the Masque for more than 10 years, has a distinct vision for Macbeth. There will be unique blend of modern and Elizabethan style, she says, as “the nice thing about Shakespeare is that you can interpret it the way you want. It speaks of how timeless Shakespeare is.”

Eleanor Loughery, a junior nursing major, is in charge of costumes. “Doing costumes is something so interesting because it really puts the actors into the story,” she says. “Sometimes it can be the most stressful job to do, but in the end when all the characters come to life, it is an amazing feeling to know that I worked to do that.”

“I put so much energy in each thing I make and it helps everything just shine together to put on a successful production. I begin by drawing out and sketching out ideas and designs and they slowly come to life. I have been involved in doing costumes since fall 2009, my freshman year. I get so excited to see my work evolve and be on stage. It really makes me feel like I am a part of something bigger, and I love it,” says Loughery.

There are 25 actors in Macbeth. Gavin McLaughlin, who is playing Macbeth, has never acted before. But the biology major had read the play in middle school and high school and really enjoyed it, so he thought he’d try out for the role.

Meg Marron, a senior honors student and nursing major, is portraying Lady Macbeth. This will be her sixth Masque performance.

The show is free to students and will be performed at 8 p.m., except for the Sunday, April 15, matinee show at 2 p.m.

The cast of the 2012 Masque Production of Macbeth.

-Katherine Blessing