Skip to Main Content

Keeping our campus healthy and safe

More Info »
X

La Salle News

December 1, 2014

La Salle University Honors Johnson & Johnson’s Mike Rose with Information Technology Leadership Award

Provost Joseph Marbach presents the 2014 Information Technology Leadership Award to alum Michael Rose.

La Salle University honored Michael Rose, a vice president at Johnson and Johnson Health Care Systems Inc. and a La Salle alumnus, with its 11th annual Information Technology Leadership Award.

Rose is Vice President, Supply Chain Visibility, Customer & Logistics Services with the Johnson & Johnson Supply Chain. “My responsibilities include: product identification and traceability, product identification standards and eCommerce strategy,” he said.

Rose was a biology major at La Salle, but it was during course electives that his interest in technology grew.

“I took several extra math and physics classes. My classmates, Jack Powers and Paul Coady, would take Steve Longo’s physics classes because we really liked Steve as a professor, and we knew that any course taught by Steve would be worthwhile,” Rose said. “My only regret is that I dropped (mathematics professor) Sam Wiley’s topology class during the spring semester of my senior year. As fate would have it, to prepare for one of my classes in graduate school, I had to quickly learn topology to be able to complete the course assignments.”

“I was always interested in science and technology, even as a kid,” Rose said. “I had a microscope and collected rocks and minerals. I value the practical application of technology—not necessarily technology for technology’s sake alone—because its use has positive impacts in so many areas: our families, our lives, our culture, as well as creating business opportunities. Johnson and Johnson’s (J&J) use of technology improves the lives of our patients that use our innovative products. From a supply chain perspective, we use technology to combat counterfeit products and help ensure that our customers receive genuine products. Through the business application of technology, J&J continually improves their efficiency and effectiveness.”

Margaret McCoey, Director of La Salle’s Graduate Programs in Computer Information Science and Information Technology Leadership said, “I actually remember Mike’s student days and his tutoring of math students—I was one—along with his participation and membership in the computer science advisory board.”

“One specific instance I recall involved a student who missed an opportunity to apply for the J&J Leadership Program. Mike heard about the student and intervened on her behalf. The intervention was positive for the student, who is still a current J&J employee,” McCoey said. “Whenever we have asked Mike for help, either on curriculum reviews, classroom visits, or panel discussions, the answer is always the same. I am pleased we are able to honor Mike with this award and proud to be associated with him professionally and as a member of the La Salle community.”

Rose and his wife, Donna, have been married for 35 years and they have two sons. They reside in Fountainville, Pa.

An educational community shaped by traditional Catholic and Lasallian values, La Salle University was established in 1863 through the legacy of St. John Baptist de La Salle and the Christian Brothers teaching order. Money magazine named La Salle University a “Value All-Star,” ranking it the eighth-best college nationwide for adding the most value for a college education. Globally, the Lasallian educational network includes 1,000 schools (60 of which are institutions of higher education) serving 940,000 students in 80 countries.