La Salle University Officially Opens Learning Commons at the Connelly Library
(Philadelphia) April 4, 2019 – La Salle University (“La Salle” or the “University”) today held a ribbon cutting ceremony to officially open its new Learning Commons at the Connelly Library, capping off an extensive renovation process to update the existing Connelly Library. This transformative new space will allow students, faculty, staff and community neighbors to still maintain and view the current collection capacity while increasing reference, archives, resources and technological support for the modern college student.
“Students today are more collaborative, and the Learning Commons at the Connelly Library will be a state-of-the-art destination on campus to share ideas, work on projects and utilize resources,” said La Salle University President Colleen M. Hanycz, Ph.D. “There is an immediate need for creating a more contemporary campus experience for students, and I’m pleased to introduce this innovative new space to our La Salle community.”
This project comes on the heels of the new School of Business building completed in 2016. The University also recently completed a renovation of the Hansen Quad, improving the existing green space by adding lounge chairs, hammocks, and outdoor lighting to offer students a place where they can gather and relax. These campus improvements are part of a larger facilities master plan aiming to address the entire campus and improve recreational, wellness and academic offerings.
“La Salle is focused on attracting a diverse background of students, but also on retaining those students,” said Stephen T. Zarrilli, ’83, Chairman of the Board of Trustees. “By updating our campus to reflect our future growth and expansion, we can further enhance retention of students while heightening the academic profile of the University.”
The ribbon cutting ceremony was emceed by John Grady, ’89, president of the Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation. Grady serves on the Board of Trustees and chaired the Property and Facilities Planning Committee. The ceremony also included remarks from President Hanycz; Pennsylvania State Senator Art Haywood; Stephen T. Zarrilli, ’83, Chairman of the Board of Trustees; and Br. Ernest Miller, F.S.C., Vice President of Mission.
The renovation was completed by Delran Builders Company, Inc. and was partially funded by a $1 million Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program grant from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Future phases of this project will be developed in years ahead.
About La Salle University
La Salle University was established in 1863 through the legacy of St. John Baptist de La Salle and the Brothers of the Christian Schools teaching order, which St. La Salle founded in 1680. La Salle University is an educational community shaped by traditional Catholic and Lasallian values and has been consistently recognized for excellence and value by U.S. News & World Report, The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education, Money magazine, Forbes, and The Princeton Review. The New York Times ranked La Salle in the top 6percent nationally for median income of its graduates at age 34. Globally, Lasallian education reaches over one million students in 77 countries on six continents; this includes more than 1,000 schools, universities, and centers of education, and 65 colleges and universities with six located in the United States. www.lasalle.edu