Guided by Lasallian values, the Communication Department integrates liberal arts education with theoretical knowledge and practical experience in the communication field, and challenges students to demonstrate communication competence.
The Department seeks to develop graduates who engage in informed civic participation and progressive leadership in professional and community settings. Beyond assisting students with finding meaningful careers, we seek to provide students with the communication knowledge and skills needed for meaningful personal, professional and social relationships.
- To increase the number of majors, minors, and graduate students.
- To continue to refine our assessment efforts in the tracks to assess both department SLO’s and University Level ILOs.
- To foster faculty discussions and strategies for advising students through the Department curriculum and the new core.
- To increase student involvement in all Communication student organizations by fostering a welcoming atmosphere and active faculty promotion.
- To explore the creation of the La Salle Media Network to unify student media and reflect current industry practices.
- Increase the promotion of various student scholarship and grant opportunities, both internally and externally funded.
- To continue our work with Career Services to support students in their search for life after college throughout their time at La Salle.
- More actively explore partnerships and collaboration with other departments and programs at both the graduate and undergraduate level.
- To garner funding support for Department initiatives—including Charlie Talk, workshops, scholarships and building upkeep--from alumni and other sources.
- To foster faculty professional development, research, and achievements in teaching and service through recognition, promotion and tenure, and opportunities for learning.
A minor in Communication is perfect for students from a wide variety of majors. From improving desirable workplace qualities to gaining skills in media and public relations, our minors offer students a variety of options.
The Department offers minors in the following areas:
Communication Center, South Campus
Staff Contact Information
Michael Smith, Chair
Elaine Zelley, Assistant Chair
Jamila Wilson, Administrative Assistant
Main Office number: (215) 951-1844
PROFESSORS: Dainton, Lannutti, Molyneaux
ASSOCIATE PROFESSORS: Dunleavy, Smith, Texter, Zelley
ASSISTANT PROFESSORS: Celano, Daily, Lashley
VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSORS: Bradford, Muse