At this time, La Salle University is not accepting or enrolling new students into this program. Please complete this form as an expression of interest and to receive information about this program from La Salle University at a later date.
What is the I/O Psychology Master’s Program?
La Salle University’s Industrial/Organizational (I/O) Psychology Master’s Program prepares students for this growing field and a bright future in the business world. Students will be trained to deal with many organizational issues which require a unique set of knowledge and skills. Included in this are selection, performance appraisal and training. The program was developed by the guidelines of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP), which is considered to be the gold standard by most I/O psychologists and businesses. The curriculum offered to our students satisfies SIOP guidelines and our graduates will be competitively prepared for their career. Our I/O program is a collaboration between the fields of psychology and business and provides an excellent graduate option for those applying from either a psychology or business undergraduate major.
How does the I/O Program Progress?
The program has been crafted to provide a sequential experience for each student from knowledge base, to skill development, to application. The content areas addressed are: statistics, research methods, I/O and social psychology, measurement of individual differences, work motivation and attitude, selection and performance appraisal, organizational design and human resources. Throughout the program there is an emphasis on the integration of theory and practice.
Once students have a sound knowledge of psychological and organizational theory and appropriate skill training in the program, they either complete a thesis or obtain internship positions in line with industrial organizational psychology.
- The Thesis is a culmination of knowledge and skills learned in the program. Students will conduct their own research project under the supervision of a faculty advisor and prepare a research report of high quality and is suitable for publication or presentation at a national professional conference.
- The internship is a placement in a business setting that the student is typically present at for 12 to 16 hours a week and runs for two academic semesters. The Philadelphia area, with a wide variety of organizations ranging from Fortune 500 to much smaller companies, is especially rich in practice possibilities. Internship sites have included the following:
- Asher and Company, Ltd.
- Bergen Briller Group, L.L.C.
- Fox 29—WTXF–TV
- Northern Light Community Center
- Target Corporation
- U.S. Postal Service—Processing and Distribution Center
- Taylor & Francis Group
- City of Philadelphia
- NHS Human Services
- FMC Corp
- Philadelphia Insurance Co.
- True Talent Advisory
- Evergreen Community Charter School
For most students, completion of the program will lead to employment in business organizations, consulting firms, or mental health settings as administrators. Employment organizations have included the following:
- Federal-Mogul Motorparts, Southfield, MI
- Penn Medicine
- City of Philadelphia
- Carson Valley Children’s Aid
- FMC Corp
- Florida Institute of Technology (Doctoral Program in I/O)
- Brightside Academy
- Drexel University (HR assistant)
- Ichan Automotive Group
- Women’s Business Enterprise Council PA-DE-NJ
- Olivieri and Associates
Why study at La Salle?
La Salle University believes in a personal, practical, and professional graduate education, and occurs in the context of the Lasallian tradition focusing on excellence in teaching and concern for both ultimate values and for the individual values of its students.
La Salle’s Master’s Programs have extensive resources include the following:
- Connelly Library – a state–of–the–art library with extensive holdings in counseling and psychology
- An Assessment Laboratory that contains a wide variety of assessment materials and resources
- Affiliations with many nationally recognized businesses in the Philadelphia area
- Diverse faculty possessing a wide range of disciplinary expertise dedicated to teaching, scholarship, and service
- One–on–one advisement and individualized plans of study that meet students’ interests and career goals
- Evening classes convenient for working professionals
The thoroughness of La Salle’s training is widely recognized in the Philadelphia area and sets its graduates apart.
For more information, view the FAQs.
View the Admission Requirements for eligibility criteria and application deadlines.
Program offered at:
- Main Campus in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania