Memorial or Tribute Gifts
If you have a loved one who has been impacted by La Salle University, establishing a memorial or tribute gift is a meaningful way to honor your loved one or celebrate a special occasion such as a birthday while supporting the work of our mission.
Your memorial or tribute gift will be a lasting tribute to your loved one and make a difference in the lives of the students we serve.
Consider the following scenario:
When Joan’s father passed away, he knew he wanted to do something that would establish a lasting legacy for him. He remembered that during his lifetime he was always praising La Salle and the Christian Brothers for their commitment to educating students and preparing him for a life marked by a commitment to the common good. So Joan decided to make a gift to the University in her father’s name. Not only will her father’s legacy live on at the University thanks to the gift, but Joan also received a federal income tax charitable deduction because she itemizes her taxes.
For memorial gifts, we recommend the family contact the University to notify us that an alumnus has passed away and that the family would like to arrange memorial gifts be directed to the University.
After a few weeks, the University can send a designated family representative a list of the individuals who have honored the alum’s legacy by making a memorial gift if they wish to receive it.
The University recommends the following language in an obituary for memorial gifts:
In lieu of flowers, our family requests charitable donations to be made in memory of (name of alumnus) to La Salle University. Gifts can be made online at www.lasalle.edu/memorialgifts or by sending a check to 1900 W. Olney Avenue, Box 809, Philadelphia, PA 19141.
A tribute gift is a meaningful way to commemorate a special occasion or honor a person’s life and accomplishments. Your gift to La Salle University made in honor of this special person ensures a legacy that extends far into the future.
Examples of Tribute Gifts:
- Gifts to honor a family member who is celebrating a significant milestone birthday or accomplishment
- Gifts to recognize a favorite Christian Brother, professor, or staff member who helped you during your time at La Salle University.
- In lieu of giving out a party favor at a wedding, many couples choose to make a tribute gift to La Salle University.
Ways to make a memorial/tribute gift:
- Online: Complete the enclosed form and please make sure that you list the name of the alumnus you would like to memorialize or honor.
- Send a check: Our mailing address is 1900 W. Olney Avenue, Box 809, Philadelphia, PA 19141.
- Gifts of stock or appreciated securities: Please instruct your broker or commercial banker to transfer the shares of stock directly into La Salle’s account at Fidelity Investments. Fidelity will sell the stock on our behalf and send a check for the proceeds to the University. Fidelity Investment’s telephone number is 1(800) 544-6666. La Salle University’s account number is 147160563. The DTC number is 0226. In order to receive proper tax credit, please be sure to send an email to email@example.com to let us know your name, class year, the name of the stock and how many shares you are transferring. This will help us to quickly credit the correct account.
If you have any questions regarding memorial or tribute gifts, please contact Tom Mesko, Director of Gift and Estate Planning, at 215.991.3681 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Trey Ulrich, Senior Director for Alumni Engagement and Annual Giving, at 215.951.1539 or email@example.com.