General Financial Aid FAQs

Here you’ll find helpful information on a range of financial aid-related topics, such as key application deadlines, some ways to pay for books, and information about how Br. LUWIS – La Salle’s web information system – can help. Feel free to reach out to the Office of Financial Aid if you have any questions.

What are the deadlines to apply for aid?

Priority financial aid deadline for Incoming Freshmen/Transfer Undergraduate Day Students: November 15th

Priority financial aid deadline for Returning, Evening or Graduate Students: April 15th

The purpose of our deadlines is to ensure that your financial aid is credited to your account by the start of the fall term. However, filing your FAFSA and/or IDF late, or submitting additional documentation after the deadline may cause a reduction in your financial aid award, a delay in crediting aid to your account, and/or a possible delay in processing a refund, if applicable.

LaSalle University is no longer contracting with Nelnet to offer payment plans. Payment plans will now be housed in the TouchNet Student Account Center and any questions will be directed to the Office of Student and Accounts Receivable

For more information, please contact the Office of Student and Accounts Receivable at 215-951-1055 or

You can reach the Financial Aid Office at 215-951-1070 or use the La Salle portal to view your aid information.

What does my acceptance status mean to me, and how does it affect my financial aid eligibility?

Undergraduate students in the full-time day program are fully accepted students at La Salle. Students in this category are eligible to receive financial aid provided that they continue to meet all standards of academic progress and are registered for the current semester.

Continuing Studies and graduate program students can be fully, conditionally, or provisionally accepted into an individual program.

  • A student who is fully or provisionally accepted into a program of study is eligible to receive financial aid provided that they continue to meet all standards of academic progress and are registered for the current semester.
  • A student who is conditionally accepted into a program of study is not eligible to receive financial aid. Once a student is updated from conditionally accepted to fully or provisionally accepted, they must notify Financial Aid to request an evaluation of financial aid eligibility.

What if I withdraw from all my courses?

The University has a refund policy in place for students who withdraw from all of their courses at the beginning of the semester. Please visit the Office of Student and Accounts Receivable website for the policy breakdown.

A student considering a withdrawal from all courses should contact your Financial Aid counselor PRIOR to withdrawing from courses for information as to how your financial aid may be affected and the steps that will be involved. If a student withdraws from the University, La Salle University grants and scholarships may be reduced accordingly. No financial aid can be processed once you cease to be enrolled.

What are some of the reasons I might see a change in my financial aid package from last year?

There are several reasons why you might have a change in your financial aid package including changes in enrollment status, housing status, or division.

For aid purposes, undergraduate students may be eligible for federal grant funds with as few as three credits, while federal loan eligibility begins at six credits (half-time status). Institutional aid may be available to undergraduate students enrolled for a minimum of twelve credits (full-time status). Some exceptions apply. Graduate students are eligible for federal loans when enrolled for at least three credits.

A change in aid may also result if a student changes his or her housing status. For example: switching from resident to commuter, or vice versa, may cause the aid to change accordingly.

Students who switch divisions from the day program to an evening program may not be eligible to receive certain pieces of institutional aid. Students considering switching divisions should contact Financial Aid to discuss possible financial aid implications.

What if my financial aid exceeds my cost of attendance?

La Salle University reserves the right to reduce University need or non-need-based funding in the event an “overaward” occurs due to a change in a student’s enrollment, housing, or financial situation, or if additional outside funding is made available to a student.

There are five types of overawards:

  • When the total of a student’s grants and scholarships exceeds the student’s direct costs for tuition, room, board and fees, La Salle University reserves the right to reduce institutional funding, either need- or merit-based. All outside grants and scholarships will be applied first to University charges. University grants and scholarships will then be applied to subsequent University charges. The one exception to this policy is athletic aid as the NCAA regulations take precedent.
  • If a student receives more funding than the student’s federally calculated need allows, the University is required to resolve the overaward per federal and institutional policy which prohibits a student from receiving aid in excess of need.
    • If a student is awarded additional aid, which causes the total of all aid to exceed the federally calculated need, then there must be a reduction in the financial aid. To resolve this overaward, financial aid will be reduced in the following order: Perkins Loan, Federal Work Study, SEOG, La Salle Grant and Federal Direct Loans.
  • If a student has been awarded one or more La Salle University merit-based scholarships and then is subsequently awarded a half-tuition or greater scholarship, then the student becomes ineligible for those La Salle University merit-based scholarships.
  • The total amount of all financial aid for a student cannot exceed that student’s cost of attendance. Financial aid includes Federal PLUS loans and alternative loans.
  • If a student earns in excess of the Federal Work Study award, then La Salle University reserves the right to reduce other need-based aid.

Exception: If a student has already been awarded need-based aid and subsequently receives additional funding, such as a private scholarship, then no other aid will be reduced as long as the total of the financial aid does not exceed need.

What is an independent student?

Federal Financial Aid regulations automatically considered a student to be independent if the student is:

  • 24 years of age;
  • married;
  • enrolled in a graduate or professional course of study;
  • currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training OR is a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces;
  • have children or other legal dependents (other than a spouse or child) who are receiving more than half of their support from the student;
  • was an orphan, a ward of the court, or in foster care at age 13;
  • currently an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship as determined by a court in their state of residence;
  • has been determined as an unaccompanied youth who was homeless by their high school or school district homeless liaison, or by the director of an emergency shelter program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development on or after July 1, 2008;
  • has been determined as an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or was self-supporting and at risk of being homeless by the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program.

If a student does not meet the above criteria, aid administrators have the authority to make a student independent under special and extreme circumstances using professional judgment. A student who would like to be considered as an independent student should submit all required documentation as noted on the Checklist for Dependency Review, which is available on the Forms and Applications page.

Special Note: A parent who is unwilling to assist a student in the financial aid process is not grounds for a student to be declared independent, as this is a personal issue between the student and the parent.

Where can I find information regarding the Education Credits that I can claim on my federal taxes?

Information pertaining to the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits can be found via the IRS website.

What if I need money for books?

Students who receive financial aid in excess of their charges will have a credit balance on their account once the University has received the funds. This credit balance may be used for books and other expenses.

There are two ways you can receive money for books:
Refund Check: You can wait for your refund check to be processed. The Business Office mails this check directly to your home address.

Gold Card: You can transfer some of your credit balance to your Gold Card.

What are the credits and memos on my bill?

Students are encouraged to review the semester invoice upon availability to ensure that all financial aid is properly credited to the account. The financial aid award letter can be used for comparison with your invoice, or you can check your financial aid on Br. LUWIS within the La Salle portal. The following outlines what you can expect to see on your invoice.

Credited on invoice

  • Pennsylvania State Grant (PHEAA) – if La Salle was listed as the student’s first choice school
  • Federal Perkins Loan – if the student has properly signed and returned the promissory note and data sheet, which will be made available prior to the start of term
  • Athletic Grants – if the student-athlete has signed and returned his/her grant-in-aid agreement to the Office of Financial Aid
  • Private Scholarships – if the organization has sent the funds to La Salle

Credited as memos

A financial aid memo is an estimated credit that is applied to your account until the actual funds are disbursed. There are many reasons for a financial aid memo to be on your account, but once the actual funds are disbursed, the memo will expire.

Reasons for a memo include:

  • Federal aid (Direct loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant [SEOG]) and institutional aid do not disburse to your account until the official first day of the semester
  • Corrections have been sent to the Federal Processor and have not yet been processed
  • You have applied for a loan that has not been completely processed

The amount of the memo’d aid will be listed at the bottom of the invoice, and will expire at the start of each term. It is the student’s responsibility to follow up with Financial Aid regarding any undisbursed funds.

Will I be eligible for financial aid if I repeat a course that I already passed?

Students are permitted to repeat a course that he/she has already passed one additional time and still be eligible for financial aid. Any additional attempts of the same course will not be covered through financial aid.

If a student attempts a course for a third time, the student’s enrollment minus the repeated course must be equal to at least 6 credits as a part-time student or at least 12 credits as a full-time student in order to be aid-eligible.

For example: A student enrolled in 12 credits who is attempting a 3-credit course for a third time, will continue to be charged the tuition rate for 12 credits, but will only be eligible for aid as a part-time student (12 credits – 3 credits = 9 credits).

I have special circumstances. What can I do?

Some families experience significant income reductions after the filing of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) that the Office of Financial Aid can take into consideration to determine if additional assistance can be offered. A student who wishes to request such a review, can submit the Special Conditions Form, along with all necessary documentation to Financial Aid for review.

If you have any special circumstances, you should notify the Office of Financial Aid.

If you are awarded any additional financial aid, you will receive a revised financial aid letter. Please note that even though your special circumstances may increase your eligibility for aid, there may not be enough funding to meet your needs.

How can Br. LUWIS answer my aid questions?

Br. LUWIS is the La Salle University Web Information System, and is accessible by logging on to the La Salle portal.

By accessing Br. LUWIS you can do the following:

  • view your financial aid awards
  • determine if all your aid has disbursed to your account
  • learn if additional documentation is required to complete your aid application
  • confirm we have received your submitted documentation

NOTE: Funds that are listed as a memo or anticipated credit do not appear in Br. LUWIS. Funds must be disbursed to the student’s account in order to appear on Br. LUWIS.