Student Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this program, the students will be able to
- Develop proficiency in Spanish so they can better serve as the Hispanic community as nurses, hospital employees, social workers, business professionals, court employees, police officers, human resources professionals, and other professions.
- Demonstrate the capability of using vocabulary that is pertinent to a particular Hispanic culture to allow circumstantial language usage.
- Apply their knowledge of diverse cultural backgrounds and to relate/contrast these cultures, particularly, in terms of the dominant culture in the USA on a first-hand basis through an internship that serves the Hispanic community.
- Analyze the concept of language as a social behavior within the context of Hispanics living in the USA.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the diverse historical perspective of various Hispanic groups in the USA with an emphasis on special relationships and conflicts among Hispanic groups themselves and in co-existence with the dominant Anglo culture.
- Synthesize their acquired understanding of the roles played by race, ethnicity, language, culture, social stratification, family, class structure, and social mobility among Hispanic groups and in contrast to Anglo society.