Student Learning Outcomes
At the conclusion of this program, the students will be able to:
- Develop and demonstrate the same level of proficiency as educated native speakers of Spanish and English and transfer messages from one language to another accurately and fluently.
- Recognize and apply the standards of court, health-care, or conference interpreters, as established by nationally recognized associations in those fields. This includes a foundation in the standards of ethics and practice in the respective areas.
- Demonstrate expertise in consecutive and simultaneous interpreting and sight translation, in the legal, healthcare, and business fields.
- Provide training in order to allow students to perform to the standards of court, healthcare, or conference interpreters as established by nationally recognized associations in those fields.
- Apply what has been learned in the classroom to real-life working environments through guest speakers, on-site visits, in-class simulations, and the internship experience.
- Identify ways to continue learning on their own by the use of self-assessment techniques and reflective practice skills.
- Discover ways to further their professional development.
- Develop and enhance their linguistic competence and cultural awareness.