Honorlock for Exam Proctoring
Honorlock is the online test proctoring solution supported at La Salle University. Please review the information on this page to get started with Honorlock. There are many factors to consider when implementing Honorlock in your online course. (please note that the New Quizzes feature in Canvas does not support Proctoring tools other than Respondus at this time.) Honorlock licenses are only intended for fully online courses or by special request. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Please share a download or link to the Canvas_Student_Guide_Accessible with your students.
Headphones or smart watches are not permitted during tests!
Beginning January 1st 2022, Honorlock no longer supports MacOSX 10.13. Students will be able to use Honorlock on devices that meet the following minimum requirements:
- Windows 10
- Windows 11
- MacOSX 10.14 and higher (including MacOSX 12)
- ChromeOS 93 and higher
- Google Chrome version 93 and higher
Honorlock will not work in the Canvas Student App
For 24/7 support go to: The Honorlock Support Page
Honorlock is an online proctoring service that allows you to take your exam from the comfort of your home. You DO NOT need to create an account, download software or schedule an appointment in advance. Students will be prompted to download an Honorlock extension when the take the test. Please add this time into your testing times.
Honorlock is available 24/7 and all that is needed is a computer, a working webcam, and a stable Internet connection.
To get started, you will need Google Chrome and to download the Honorlock Chrome Extension. You can download the extension at www.honorlock.com/extension/install. When you are ready to test, log into the LMS, go to your course, and click on your exam. Clicking Launch Proctoring will begin the Honorlock authentication process, where you will take a picture of yourself, show your ID, and complete a scan of your room. Honorlock will be recording your exam session by webcam as well as recording your screen. Honorlock also has an integrity algorithm that can detect search-engine use, so please do not attempt to search for answers, even if it’s on a secondary device. Good luck!
Honorlock support is available 24/7/365. If you encounter any issues, you may contact us by live chat, phone (844-243-2500), and/or email (email@example.com).
Enabling Honorlock in Your Course
Enable the Honorlock course menu by going to Settings > Navigation.
- Locate the ‘Honorlock’ link in the list
- Click on the three vertical dots next to ‘Honorlock’ and click ‘Enable’
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the ‘Save’ button.
- You can also drag and drop the Honorlock option into the active menu section to activate.
Enabling Honorlock in a Quiz
To access the ‘Proctoring Settings’ options below:
- Click on ‘Honorlock’ in the course menu (after you have enabled Honorlock).
- Locate the quiz for which you would like to configure Honorlock and click the ‘Click to Enable’ button to the far right of the quiz name.
- In the Proctoring Settings interface which appears, choose appropriate settings for recording, student guidelines, accommodations and student visibility.
- Click the ‘Enable’ button at the bottom of the page. (Note: You can return to the Proctoring Settings page for a specific quiz by clicking on the settings icon to the far right of the quiz.)
- Review the Tips & Recommendations for Faculty section below and follow up accordingly. (Important: Includes a simple one-step process for creating an Honorlock generated Practice Quiz, which is highly recommended. This allows students to check their computer settings, update web extensions and log in before attempting to take the quiz/exam.)
- Students will access Honorlock enabled quizzes wherever they are linked within Canvas (quizzes, assignments, modules, etc.), but may also access them through the Honorlock Dashboard (which may be necessary for third-party exams and to link to support prior to exams).
Access Codes: It is important that you do NOT edit the Access Code that’s set when you enable an assessment with Honorlock. Editing or removing the access code could prevent students from entering the assessment or it could allow them to enter the assessment without proctoring. For additional information about access codes, please refer to this article.
Support: Honorlock support is available 24/7/365 for you and your students. Students are encouraged to reach out to Honorlock Support via LiveChat by clicking on the chat bubble at the bottom right of any Honorlock enabled assessment.
Minimum System Requirements: Students should test on an up-to-date device and Chrome browser. Prior to their exam attempt, please encourage students to test their devices by visiting honorlock.com/support or via the Honorlock System Check prior to launching proctoring. Our minimum system requirements can also be found here.
Browser Guard: If students are required to access an application outside of their exam, such as Microsoft Word or Excel, Browser Guard will need to be disabled for your assessment.
Allowed URLs: If you would like your students to reference a website during the exam, you have the ability to allow specific URLs. Please keep in mind, the more granular the website URL, the better control over what content is able to be accessed by your students.
Images: If you’re going to include any images or diagrams within your assessment, please ensure that you have granted your students permission to those files.
How Honorlock Works
- The only time the Honorlock Google Chrome extension functions is when Honorlock is in use in conjunction with a Canvas quiz which has been enabled with the Honorlock requirement. Detection of test violations is completely driven by human behavior and patented mechanisms. Honorlock does not look at devices other than the one being used to take the Honorlock-enabled test, nor does it look at the network through which the testing device is connected to the Internet. These patented mechanisms are only relevant to specific attempts by the student taking the Honorlock-enabled quiz to search for answers to specific quiz questions during an Honorlock-enabled quiz, using a secondary device, but Honorlock is not looking directly at the secondary device or associated network.
- If preferred, the Honorlock Google Chrome extension can be uninstalled after test completion and re-installed prior to the next quiz.
Technical Requirements and Support
Honorlock will not work in the Canvas Student App
- Windows 10 / MacOSX 10.13 and higher / ChromeOS
- Google Chrome Browser, (minimum version 79) (Honorlock interfaces with Google Chrome)
- A computer (PC or Mac) 5 years old or newer; 1 GB RAM; 2 GHz Processor
- Honorlock Browser Extension (Honorlock prompts the download when the student begins the quiz process)
- If preferred, the Honorlock extension may be disabled and/or uninstalled from the Google Chrome browser after a quiz is completed and can be downloaded and installed once again when the student is ready to complete another quiz.
- Functioning/operational WebCam, either integrated or external
- Internet Speed: 1.5 Mbps download; 750 Kbps upload
- La Salle University recommends using a wired connection when taking quizzes/tests/exams using Canvas and Honorlock
- To run a system test and speed test, visit Honorlock’s support page–scroll down the page and click on the ‘Run System Check‘ button and then click on the ‘Show Speed Test‘ button. The Speed Test will open in a new Internet browser window/tab–you can view the Speed Test as it is performed on your computer.
- Honorlock help is available 24/7 via live chat within the Canvas interface: email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Honorlock Support Page- https://honorlock.com/support/
- Contact IDTeam@lasalle.edu for assistance in setting up Honorlock in your course
- Review and share the Student-Honorlock-Instructions
- The Training Hub Honorlock Tutorials in Canvas
Questions about Privacy? Get the FAQ’s