Meredith E. Kneavel, Ph.D.
Associate Dean, School of Nursing and Health Sciences
Dr. Kneavel earned her PhD in biopsychology from The Graduate Center of the City University of New York where she studied the effects of chronic stress on learning and memory in genetic models of diseases. Following this, she did post-doctoral study in a neurology lab at Columbia University studying the effects of torsin on movement behavior. She then obtained a faculty appointment in the Psychology department at Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia where she served as chair of the undergraduate program from 2005 to 2017.
Her research expands broadly across areas of health. Initial work focused on the effects of stress on biochemistry and correlated behavioral deficits and moved to gender differences in stress reactivity and social support. She has also evaluated the effectiveness of an active intervention, written emotional expression, in reducing negative health outcomes. In more recent work, she has worked with a colleague to create a peer concussion education intervention designed to improve concussion reporting among athletes. This work also led to the development of a Center for Concussion Education and Research on which she served as the Director of Assessment and Research.
Areas of Expertise
- statistics/ research design
- Ph.D., Psychology with a concentration in Biopsychology, The Graduate Center of the City University of New York, 2001
DISSERTATION: Effects of Chronic Restraint Stress on Cognitive Function in Catechol-O- Methyltransferase and Calbindin-D28K Knockout Mice
- B.A., Psychology, Loyola University, Baltimore, MD, 1996
- NCAA/DoD Mind Matters Challenge Award, 2015
- Honors Convocation Speaker, Chestnut Hill College, 2015
- Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching, 2014
- Robert L. Thompson Award for Research Excellence at Hunter College of CUNY, 2001
- NCAA/Department of Defense large, randomized multi-site investigation of effectiveness of peer concussion education program, co-primary investigator, 2017, under contract, $207K
- $75K Grant from NCAA/ DoD to study novel methods for concussion education and develop a peer concussion model of education, secondary investigator 2015
- $25K prize from NCAA for proposal to study concussion education, 2015
- Teagle Grant to study Faculty Development, 2014
- PHENND grant (Philadelphia Higher Education Network for Neighborhood Development) to participate in the Senior Projects Course Development Institute, which brought together college faculty and personnel from Philadelphia public schools, 2008
- Psi Chi Advisor Research Grant, “Effects of written emotional expression on salivary cortisol levels”, 2005
- Ernst, W.J., Gallo, A.B., Sellers, A.L., Mulrine, J., MacNamara, L, Abrahamson, A. & Kneavel, M. (2016). Knowledge of Traumatic Brain Injury among Educators, Exceptionality, 24:2, 123-136, DOI:10.1080/09362835.2015.1107832
- Haaz, D.H., Kneavel, M., & Browning, S.W. (2014). The Father–Daughter Relationship and Intimacy in the Marriages of Daughters of Divorce, Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 55:2, 164-177, DOI: 10.1080/10502556.2013.871962
- Kneavel, M.; Ferguson, D.; Mohan, G.; Bradshaw, A.; Christakos, S.; Luine, V. Effect of chronic stress in calbindin-D28k knockout and wild-type subjects on spatial and non-spatial memory. Journal of Neurobiology, Manuscript under revision.
- Kneavel, M., Luine, V. Effects of chronic stress on learning and memory in C57 and 129Sve strains of mice. Brain Research, submitted manuscript.
- Kneavel, M. & Kneavel, A. (2006). Hollywood Rx. In Lawrence C. Rubin (Ed). Psychotropic Drugs and Popular Culture (pp. 40-60). Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, Inc.
- Luine, V., Beck, K., Bowman, R., & Kneavel, M. (2000). Sex differences in chronic stress effects on cognitive function and brain neurochemistry. CRC Press
- Kneavel, M. (2017). Please Turn On Your Cell Phone: Utilizing Technology in the Classroom, Mid-Atlantic Teaching of Psychology Conference, Largo, MD.
- Mondelli, J., Ernst, W.J., Kneavel, M., Lawler, K. (2016). Reliable Digit Span Performance in Older Adults with Known or Suspected Dementia, National Academy of Neuropsychology, Seattle, Washington.
- Ernst, W., Kneavel, M., Gallo, A., Moylan, R., Brosof, A. (2014). Reliable Digit Span Performance in Children Referred Primarily due to Academic Problems. National Academy of Neuropsychology, Fajardo, Puerto Rico.
- Ernst, W. & Kneavel, M. (2014). TOMM Performance in Children and Young Adults Referred Due to Academic Problems. American Psychological Association, Washington, DC.
- Kneavel, M. (2013). An investigation of the curvilinear relationship between gender, social support, and perceived stress. New England Psychological Association Conference, Housatonic College, Bridgeport, CT.
- Kneavel, M. (2013) The Here and Now: A Century of Getting High. Reunion Weekend. Chestnut Hill College, PA.
- German, K., & Kneavel, M. (2010). Undergraduate College Students’ Use of the Internet. Proceedings and Abstracts of the Annual Meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, New York, NY.
- Loscalzo, Emily & Kneavel, M. (2007). Effect of Written Emotional Expression on Stress Levels: Handwriting Versus Typing. Proceedings and Abstracts of the Annual Meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, Philadelphia, PA.
- Kneavel, M., Blustein, J., Kriebel, D. (2006). Undergraduate Research: Catalyst for Learning in the Psychological Sciences. SEPCHE Faculty Development Conference, Gwynedd-Mercy College, Gwynedd Valley, PA.
- Porcelli, L. & Kneavel, M. (2006). Use of Mindfulness Techniques for Women with Body Dissatisfaction. Proceedings and Abstracts of the Annual Meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, Baltimore, MD.
- Loscalzo, Emily & Kneavel, M. (2006). Effects of Writing or Typing Written Emotional Expression on Health and Cortisol Levels. Pennsylvania Psychological Association Conference, Harrisburg, PA
- Kneavel, M. & Kneavel, A. (2005). Rx Hollywood. Popular Culture Association and American Culture Association National Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Ireland, R. & Kneavel, M. (2005). Self-Defeating behaviors in males and females: An investigation of use of counterproductive strategies, tradeoff situations, and primary self-defeating behaviors. Delaware Valley Undergraduate Research Conference, Arcadia University, Glenside, PA.
- Kinoshita, S. & Kneavel, M. (2005). Adjustment of International Students: Issues, Concerns, Suggestions, and Recommendations. Delaware Valley Undergraduate Research Conference, Arcadia University, Glenside, PA.
- Kneavel, T. & Kneavel, M. (2004). Identifying and Treating Sexual Perpetrators Who Experienced Childhood Sexual Traumas. Delaware Psychological Association, Rehoboth, DE.
- Sanchez, Veronica. & Kneavel, M. (2004). Gender differences in perceived stress. Proceedings and Abstracts of the Annual Meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, Washington, DC.
- Kneavel, A. & Kneavel, M. (2003). Movie Madness: Treatment of Mental Illness in Films. Mid-Atlantic American/ Popular Culture Association Conference. Wilmington, DE.
- Kneavel, T. & Kneavel, M. (1998). Social Validity, Critical Variables: A Model for Predicting Psychotherapy Outcomes. American Psychological Association Mid-Winter Conference. La Jolla, California.
- Kneavel, M., Gogos, J., Karayiorgou, M., Luine, V. (2000). Interaction of COMT gene deletion and environment on cognition. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts, 26, 571.20.
- Kneavel, M., Christakos, S., Ferguson, D., Meyer, M., Luine, V. (2000). Sex differences in effects of chronic stress in wild-type and calbindin knockout mice: Learning and memory. Neuroendocrine Workshop on Estrogen, Growth Factors, and Neuroplasticity Abstracts, 45.
- Kneavel, M. (2000) Effects of stress in COMT knockouts on learning and memory. Touro College, Invited Speaker.
- Sooy, K., Kohut, M., Meyer, T.L., Gary, D., Mattson, M., Schermerhorn, T., Sharp, G.W., Kneavel, M., Luine, V.L., Christakos, S. (2000). Studies with Calbindin-D28K knockout mice provide direct evidence for a role for calbinding in renal calcium reabsorption, insulin secretion, protection against neuronal cell death and in memory function. Vitamin D Meeting Abstracts.
- Kneavel, M., Erlikh, M., Sacatos, A., & Luine, V. (1999) Effects of 8-OH-DPAT on female rat pacing behavior, Society for Behavioral Neuroendocrinology Abstract.
- Kneavel, M., Luine, V., & Chin, J. (1999). Effects of gene manipulation and environmental stress on learning and memory. Hunter College Psi Chi Symposium, Spring 1999 presentation.
- Luine, V., Frankfurt, M., Kneavel, M., Erlikh, M., & Bradshaw, A. (1998). Serotonergic effects on emale rat solicitation behavior. Society for Neuroscience Abstracts, 24, 949.
- Kneavel, T., & Kneavel, M. (1998). Social validity/ critical variables: A model for predicting psychotherapy outcomes. American Psychological Association Midwinter Convention Presentation.